The second intersessional meeting on human rights and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, mandated by the Human Rights Council, will take place in room 20 at the Palais des Nations from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., is open to the media, and will be webcast live.
Next week's meeting will build on the conclusions of the first intersessional meeting that took place on 16 January earlier this year, while participants continue to explore how the implementation of human rights contributes to achieving the SDGs and realizing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
A high-profile group of experts from Member States, United Nations agencies, national human rights institutions and civil society organizations will meet under the chairpersonship of Ambassador Frank Tressler Zamorano of Chile.
Speakers at the meeting include:
- Ambassador Coly Seck, President of the Human Rights Council and Permanent Representative of Senegal to the UN Office at Geneva
- Kate Gilmore, UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Sima Samar, Special Envoy of the President of Afghanistan and State Minister for Human Rights and International Relations
- Maria-Francesca Spatolisano, Assistant-Secretary General for Policy Coordination and Inter-Agency Affairs in the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Jens Wandel, Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on Reforms
- Ambassador Mona Juul, President of the UN Economic and Social Council (via video message)
- share good practices and lessons learned on implementing the SDGs and realizing human rights as essential to the fulfilment of the 2030 Agenda;
- aim to make the next decade one of action and delivery; and
- build on the opportunities of the UN development reform.
For further details and the programme, please visit the webpage of the meeting and information on all speakers. The meeting will be webcast live and will be fully accessible to persons with disabilities.