HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NOON BRIEFING BY STEPHANE DUJARRIC,

SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL BAN KI-MOON

WEDNESDAY, 8 APRIL 2015

SECRETARY-GENERAL HIGHLIGHTS IMPORTANCE OF FINANCING FOR DEVELOPMENT AHEAD OF MEETING IN ETHIOPIA

  • In his remarks at the start of the General Assembly’s two-day interactive hearing ahead of the Third International Conference on Financing for Development in Addis Ababa, the Secretary-General said that a successful outcome in Addis is crucial for securing an ambitious post-2015 agenda and a comprehensive agreement on climate change in Paris in December.
  • The Secretary-General noted that all sources of funding must be tapped – public and private, national and international.

SYRIA: U.N. AGENCY FOR PALESTINE REFUGEES CALLS FOR PAUSE IN HOSTILITIES IN YARMOUK

  • The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) said that after days of the continuing siege and sustained violence inside the camp, no UNRWA humanitarian operations have been possible as of 8 April.
  • The situation in the camp remains extremely tense with street fighting continuing and unconfirmed reports of aerial bombardments of civilian areas.
  • UNRWA remains greatly alarmed that sustained hostilities continue to inflict unimaginable suffering to the 18,000 Palestinian and Syrian men, women and children trapped in Yarmouk, who survive under constant threat of armed violence, and remain unable to safely access water, food and basic healthcare.
  • UNRWA is calling for a pause in the hostilities, humanitarian access to civilians who need assistance and the safe evacuation of civilians who want to leave Yarmouk.
  • All armed groups inside Yarmouk need to respect and comply with their obligations to ensure the protection of civilians.  UNRWA calls on all parties to exercise influence over the parties on the ground to bring this about.

HUMANITARIAN ACCESS SEVERELY CONSTRAINTED BY CONTINUING INSECURITY, WARN AID AGENCIES IN YEMEN

  • The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned that humanitarian access remains severely constrained by the continuing insecurity.
  • According to OCHA, the most serious constraints are in Aden, Lahj and Al Dhale'e, the three governorates most affected by the violent conflict. The World Health Organization (WHO) adds that ambulances in Aden could not reach injured people in some districts earlier this week.
  • The Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) estimates that 37 buildings were targeted, including five hospitals in Sana’a, Al Dhale’s and Aden.
  • The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said that yesterday’s airstrike on the Al Rasheedi school in Yemen's Ibb governorate, which left at least two children dead and two others injured, is a stark reminder of the appalling risks faced by children as the conflict intensifies.
  • It added that such incidents underline the urgent need for all parties to find a peaceful resolution to the conflict, and for every effort to be made to protect civilian from violence, and for all to respect international law.
  • The head of the OCHA Office for Yemen, Trond Jensen, has expressed the humanitarian community’s concern that the situation could turn catastrophic.
  • He appealed to all parties to the conflict to respect their obligations under international law, to respect civilians and civilian infrastructure, and to allow unfettered access for humanitarian supplies and workers, so that urgently needed supplies can be brought in.
  • National aid partners in Yemen are expected to conduct needs assessments in the coming days, including in Hajjah, Al Hudaydah, Aden, Al Dhale’e, Lahj and Abyan. Discussions also continue with local authorities to allow partners to undertake an independent humanitarian needs assessment in Sa’ada.
  • On 10 April in Geneva, the Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, Johannes van der Klaauw, is expected to brief the media.

AID ORGANIZATIONS EXPRESS CONCERN OVER FIGHTING IN DARFUR

  • The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has expressed deep concern over the impact of fighting in Darfur on civilians, and at the most recent reports of aerial bombardment of villages in North Darfur. 
  • More than 10,000 people have been displaced over the past month due to fighting between tribal groups in two areas of Darfur, according to our humanitarian partners. 
  • While most areas can be reached, and international aid agencies are working with local partners to distribute shelter, household and medical supplies to people in need, humanitarian workers have not been granted access to several areas in North Jebel Marra, Central Darfur.

U.N. HUMANITARIAN OFFICE CONDEMNS MILITIA ATTACKS AGAINST SITES FOR DISPLACED PEOPLE IN D.R. CONGO

  • The head of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs’ (OCHA) Office in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, country strongly condemned today a number of attacks by armed militia against sites hosting displaced people in Irumu territory in Orientale Province.
  • The situation in Irumu territory has been of great concern since the beginning of the year both for civilians and for humanitarian organizations providing aid and assistance.

69 COUNTRIES PAY THEIR DUES TO U.N. IN FULL

  • Chile has become the latest Member State to pay in full for the regular budget, making it the 69th Member State to pay its dues.