To assist the Panel in delivering on their mandate, a Secretariat was established under the leadership of Assistant Secretary-General Mr. George Okoth-Obbo and structured in three pillars: Research & Outcomes, Stakeholder Engagement & Coordination, and Administrative & Organization.
The Secretariat supports the Panel through the following activities:
- Provide substantive support to the Panel, including through research, expert advice, background papers and briefing materials to support its deliberations;
- Provide logistical and administrative support to the work of the Panel, in particular planning and organizing meetings of the Panel, its field visits and stakeholder consultations;
- Facilitate the Panel’s communication, engagement and consultations with a broad range of stakeholders, including Member States, UN entities, IDPs and wider displacement-affected communities, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of IDPs, regional and sub-regional organizations, international and regional financial institutions, civil society, academia, the private sector and ongoing initiatives and platforms such as the GP20 Plan of Action, the Platform on Disaster Displacement, relevant data centres and country-specific durable solutions initiatives;
- Coordinate the activities of the Expert Advisory Group and logistically support their engagement with the Panel;
- Prepare a draft of the Panel’s report to the UN Secretary-General, consolidating key findings and recommendations, based on the guidance and inputs from the Panel;
- Manage resources for the Secretariat and High-Level Panel;
- Develop and implement a communications strategy targeting both relevant stakeholders and the general public to ensure effective dissemination of the Panel report and its key findings and messages to relevant audiences; and
- Perform other duties as required for the completion of the Panel’s objectives and activities.