The 2019 ECOSOC special meeting will provide opportunity to address emerging issues of tax policy and administration related to (i) digitalization of the economy, (ii) taxation and environmental protection, and (iii) taxation and inequality. The meeting takes the form of a dialogue among the Council, members of its expert body on tax matters, senior representatives of national tax authorities, relevant international organizations, civil society and academia. Special efforts will be made to relate the technical nature of the expert work to the broader policy concerns of the Council and others in supporting efforts at all levels to achieve sustainable development.
Participants will contribute to enhancing the impact of expert and intergovernmentally-driven UN policy guidance on tax matters, at the global, regional, national and subnational levels.
The meeting will be held immediately following the 18th Session of the UN Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters (Committee), taking place on 23-26 April 2019.
- H.E. Inga Rhonda King (Saint Vincent and the Grenadines), President of the Economic and Social Council
- Mr. Elliott Harris, Assistant-Secretary-General for Economic Development and Chief Economist
Taxation and Environmental Protection
- Prof. Janet Milne, Director, Environmental Tax Policy Institute, Vermont Law School
- Ms. Natalia Aristizabal, United Nations Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters, Coordinator of Subcommittee on Environmental Taxation Issues
- Mr. Rodrigo Pizarro, University of Santiago, former Ministry of Environment of Chile
- Mr. Kurt Van Dender, Head of the Tax and Environment Unit, OECD Centre for Tax Policy and Administration
- Mr. Gervais Coulombe, Senior Director, Excise, Sales Tax Division, Tax Policy Branch, Department of Finance, Canada
Taxation and Inequality
- Prof. Wilson Prichard, University of Toronto
- Ms. Elfrieda Tamba, United Nations Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters