2020 ECOSOC Forum on Financing for Development follow-up
20 - 23 April 2020 – New York, United States
Twentieth Session of the Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters
27 - 30 April 2020 – New York, United States
ECOSOC special Meeting on “International Cooperation in Tax Matters”
1 May 2020 – New York, United States
2020 Development Cooperation Forum High-level Meeting
14 - 15 May 2020 – New York
Twenty-first Session of the Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters
20 - 23 October 2020 – Geneva
Global Investors for Sustainable Development Alliance
The magnitude of financing required to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is significant, yet to date, levels of investment have been insufficient. While public resources will be essential, the mobilization of the private sector is critical to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
To help address this shortfall, the Secretary-General is convening the Global Investors for Sustainable Development (GISD) Alliance as part of his Strategy for Financing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The group is aimed at leveraging the insights of private sector leaders to remove impediments and implement solutions for mobilizing resources for sustainable development.
The Alliance has a two-year timeline, from October 2019 to October 2021. It will focus on facilitating solutions relating to:
- increasing the available supply of long-term investment for sustainable development;
- realizing SDG investment opportunities in developing countries;
- enhancing the impact of private investment on sustainable development.
The GISD Alliance is made up of 30 CEOs, recognized leaders of major financial institutions and corporations spanning all the regions of the world.
GISD is supported by a core group of stakeholders from the UN System, including UN Global Compact, PRI, UNEP FI, UNDP, UNCDF and the Regional Economic Commissions, as well as the World Bank Group and the International Finance Corporation. These actors are coordinated by UN DESA and UNCTAD. They will assist the GISD in the implementation of its action plan, including the provision of background and analysis.
The Alliance will moreover build on the membership and experience of various networks and initiatives in the UN system and beyond with the purpose of bringing together business solutions and policy initiatives.
GISD will aim to achieve the following:
- Generate support and adoption of actions required to mobilize long-term finance and investment for sustainable development.
- Encourage measures to channel finance and investment to countries and sectors where they are most needed.
- Work towards enhancing the impact of private investment on sustainable development.
- Facilitate the alignment of business operations, finance and investment with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
At the end of its two-year timeline in October 2021, GISD will report on its results to the Secretary General.