The General Assembly, by its decision 64/551 of 23 February 2010, decided to convene its fourth High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development on 23 and 24 March 2010 at United Nations Headquarters. Pursuant to resolution 64/194 of 21 December 2009, the Dialogue’s overall theme was “The Monterrey Consensus and Doha Declaration on Financing for Development: status of implementation and tasks ahead”. The two-day event included a series of plenary meetings chaired by the President of the General Assembly, at which ministers and high-level officials were able to make formal statements. The second day was devoted to three interactive multi-stakeholder round tables followed by an informal interactive dialogue with the participation of all relevant stakeholders. The themes of the 3 round tables and the interactive dialogue were as follows:
- Round table 1: “The reform of the international monetary and financial system and its implications for development”;
- Round table 2: “The impact of the current financial and economic crisis on foreign direct investment and other private flows, external debt and international trade”;
- Round table 3: “The role of financial and technical development cooperation, including innovative sources of development finance, in leveraging the mobilization of domestic and international financial resources for development”;
- Informal interactive dialogue: “The link between financing for development and achieving the Millennium Development Goals: the road to the 2010 high-level event”.
The Dialogue has resulted in a summary by the President of the General Assembly as an input to the preparation of the High-level Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly on MDGs (New York, 20-22 September 2010).
- Background Information on organizational matters
- Tentative programme (with links to presentations)
- UN Journal announcements
- Round tables and Informal Interactive Dialogue
- Side event:
- Panel discussion on “Beyond the Crisis: Boosting Capital Flows and Increasing Development Finance to Africa” (co-organized by Permanent Mission of Nigeria and the African Business Roundtable) Wednesday, 24 March 2010, from 1.15 to 2.30 p.m. in Conference Room 3 (NLB).
- GA decision 64/551 on “Fourth High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development” (A/64/L.47)
- GA resolution 64/194 on “Modalities for the fourth High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development” (A/RES/64/194)
- GA decision 63/564 on “High-Level Dialogue of the General Assembly on Financing for Development” (A/63/L.102)
- Draft General Assembly resolution on “Modalities for the fourth High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development” (A/C.2/64/L.28)
- Note by the Secretary-General on “Proposed organization of work of the High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development” (A/64/377)
- Background Information on substantive matters
- Report of the Secretary-General on “Follow-up to and implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and Doha Declaration on Financing for Development” (A/64/322)
- Progress Report of the Secretary-General on “Innovative sources of development finance” (A/64/189)
- Summary by the President of the Economic and Social Council of the special high-level meeting of the Council with the Bretton Woods institutions, the World Trade Organization and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (New York, 27 April 2009) (A/64/76-E/2009/60)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “International financial system and development” (A/64/178)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “Towards a durable solution to the debt problems of developing countries” (A/64/167)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “International trade and development” (A/64/177)