Pursuant to ECOSOC resolutions 2011/38, 2010/26 and 2009/30, the overall theme of the meeting was “Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of Financing for Development”. The UN Secretary-General addressed the meeting. Following a short opening plenary with brief statements by the President of ECOSOC and the heads of relevant intergovernmental bodies, the meeting included informal thematic debates on the following topics:
- “Promoting sustained, inclusive and equitable economic growth, job creation, productive investment and trade”;
- “Financing of sustainable development”.
The thematic debates on the above topics were held consecutively in an informal plenary setting of the whole, in order to facilitate greater engagement of all participants and to promote an open exchange of views and experiences among all stakeholders, including civil society and the business sector. At the closing of the meeting, the President of ECOSOC made concluding remarks. The full summary by the President of the Council was issued as an official document of the General Assembly and ECOSOC (A/67/81–E/2012/62).
- Letter of 6 March 2009 by the President of ECOSOC on the substantive focus and format of the Special high-level meeting
- Note by the Secretary-General on “Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of the implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and the Doha Declaration on Financing for Development”-(E/2009/48)
- List of participants
- Summary by the President of the Economic and Social Council of the special high-level meeting of the Council with the Bretton Woods institutions, the World Trade Organization and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (New York, 27 April 2009)-(A/64/76-E/2009/60)