Population, food security, nutrition and sustainable development
- H.E. Ambassador Yemdaogo Eric Tiare (Burkina Faso) (Chair)
- Ms. Damla Fidan (Turkey) (Vice-Chair)
- Mr. Nizar Kaddouh (Lebanon) (Vice-Chair)
- Ms. Cristina Popescu (Romania) (Vice-Chair designate)
- Ms. Mayra Lisseth Sorto (El Salvador) (Vice-Chair designate)
The question of how to feed a growing global population has been central to discussions around population and development for decades. While the Programme of Action of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development highlighted the problem of undernutrition, today's discussion of malnutrition is broader and includes stunting, wasting, overweight and obesity, as well as micronutrient deficiencies. Moreover, there is an increasing recognition of the challenges to food security posed by factors such as climate change, conflict and economic downturns.