Friday, 8 August, 10:00am – 1:00pm Dag Hammarskjöld Library Auditorium, UN Headquarters
- Message from United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- Message from Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs Sha Zukang
- Message from the Chairperson of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, Victoria Tauli-Corpuz
Hālau i Ka Wēkiu (School Upon the Summit)
Panel Discussion: Conciliation and Reconciliation between Indigenous Peoples and States
Part of the New Human Rights Dialogue Series, commemorating the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Panelists:
- Gert Rosenthal, Permanent Representative of Guatemala to the United Nations
- Henri Paul Normandin, Deputy Permanent Representative of Canada to the United Nations
- Representative of the Permanent Mission of Australia to the United Nations
- Marcie Mersky, Liaison Officer, United Nations Department of Political Affairs
- Chief Oren Lyons, Faithkeeper, Turtle Clan, Onondaga Nation, Member of Grand Council of Chiefs of the Haudenosaunee
Master of Ceremonies:
- Roberto Múcaro Borrero (Taíno, Puerto Rico), Chairperson, NGO Committee on the International Decade of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
This event is organized by the Secretariat of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, DSPD/DESA, the NGO Committee on the International Decade of the World’s Indigenous Peoples and the New York Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. Co-sponsored by the Tribal Link Foundation and the American Museum of Natural History.
FILM SCREENING: THE APOLOGY1:00 – 1:45 p.m. A 30-minute film screening organized by the Permanent Mission of Australia to the United Nations will follow the panel discussion.
The International Day of the World’s Indigenous People is officially commemorated annually on 9 August in recognition of the first meeting of the United Nations Working Group on Indigenous Populations in Geneva in 1982.
Journalists without UN accreditation who wish to attend the event should follow the instructions for obtaining accreditation at http://www.un.org/media/accreditation. For media enquiries or interviews, please contact: Renata Sivacolundhu, Department of Public Information, tel: 212 963 2932, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. For Secretariat of the Permanent Forum, please contact: Broddi Sigurdarson, tel: 917 367 2106,
For more information on the Day’s events, please visit: http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/en/news_internationalday2008.html