Informal Meeting of the United Nations General Assembly
to mark the 2015 Observance of the International Day against Nuclear Tests
The Meeting is convened by H.E. Mr. Sam Kutesa, President of the United Nations General Assembly, and organized in cooperation with the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Date: Thursday, 10 September 2015
Time: 10:00 a.m.– 1:00 p.m.
Venue: Trusteeship Council, United Nations Headquarters
Opening Statements by:
- H.E. Mr. Sam Kutesa, President of the United Nations General Assembly
- H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- H.E. Kairat Abdrakhmanov, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Kazakhstan to the United Nations in New York
The official Opening Ceremony will be followed by a High-Level Interactive Panel on the theme,
"TOWARDS ZERO: RESOLVING THE CONTRADICTIONS"
The distinguished experts will comment from their perspective on the pursuit of a nuclear-weapon-free world and provide some ideas on whether and how common ground may be achieved among the different approaches and new initiatives.
- H.E. Ambassador Dina Kawar, Permanent Representative of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the United Nations in New York
- Mr. Kim Won-soo, Under-Secretary-General and Acting High Representative for Disarmament Affairs, United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs
- H.E. Ambassador Rose Gottemoeller, Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security, US Department of State
- H.E. Dr. Lassina Zerbo, Executive Secretary, Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization
- Ms. Tracy Brown, Acting Director of New York Office of the International Atomic Energy Agency on behalf of Director General Dr. Yukiya Amano
- H.E. Ambassador Vladimir Drobnjak, Permanent Representative of Croatia to the United Nations in New York
- H.E. Ambassador Makurita Baaro, Permanent Representative of Kiribati to the United Nations in New York
- Dr. Ira Helfand, Chair, Security Committee of Physicians for Social Responsibility, and Co-President, International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
- H.E. Rolando Castro, Ambassador, Deputy Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the United Nations in New York
- H.E. Ioannis Vrailas, Chargé d’Affaires a.i., Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations
- H.E. Ambassador Katalin Bogay, Permanent Representative of Hungary to the United Nations
- H.E. Ambassador Martin Sajdik, Permanent Representative of Austria to the United Nations in New York
The panel will be followed by observations and questions from Member States.
The Informal Meeting is open to all diplomats, think-tanks, the academic community, civil society and the media. Those without a UN Grounds Pass interested in these events should kindly contact firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 1-212-2301900, ext 301 and 322.