The 2010 coordination segment focused on two main substantive areas:
Follow up to the 2009 Ministerial Declaration on “implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to global public health”
Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development
In addition, the annual overview report of the UN system Chief Executive Board for Coordination (CEB) was presented to the Council.
In its consideration of these issues, the segment provided an opportunity to:
- Assess the UN system role and activities in a broad range of policy areas relevant to development;
- Identify areas where the UN system should promote more comprehensive and effective approaches;
- Recommend ways in which support by the UN system in the areas of global public health and financing for development can be strengthened against the backdrop of current challenges;
The Secretary-General's report on “the role of the United Nations system in implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to global public health” will provide the background analysis for the debate on that issue.
The segment also reviewed progress made by the Council in promoting the integrated and coordinated implementation of and follow-up to the major UN Conferences and Summits. An updated report of the Secretary-General was presented under this item.
Under the financing for development agenda item, the Council will consider the Summary by the President of the Council of the special high-level meeting of the Council with the Bretton Woods institutions, the World Trade Organization and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, held in April 2010, as well as a report of the Secretary-General entitled “Recovering from the Crisis: a Global Jobs Pact”.
The work of the Coordination Segment was complemented by the following panels:
- “Towards a United Nations comprehensive policy response to global health challenges" ;
- "Coordinating efforts for achieving the health-related Millennium Development Goals" ;
- “Operationalizing the UN system’s short and long-term response to the economic and financial crisis: Progress towards implementing the Social Protection Initiative and the Global Jobs Pact” ;
- "South-South Cooperation and Financing for Development: Investment, Trade and Technology Transfer"
- "Global Economic Governance”
The Council also heard an address by Mr. Antonio Marzano, President of the International Association of Economic and Social Councils and similar Institutions (AICESIS).
For information on the coordination segment, please contact Mr. Marc-André Dorel, Senior Economic Affairs Officer, ECOSOC and Interorganizational Cooperation Branch, Office of ECOSOC Support and Coordination (212) 963-7204, email@example.com or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.