The 2009 coordination segment focused on the follow up to the 2008 Ministerial Declaration on “implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to sustainable development”.
The Segment provided an opportunity to:
- Assess the UN system role and activities in a broad range of policy areas relevant to sustainable development;
- Identify areas where the UN system should promote more comprehensive and effective approaches;
- Recommend ways in which the UN system's support to sustainable development can be strengthened against the backdrop of current challenges.
The Secretary-General's report on “the role of the United Nations system in implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to sustainable development” provided the background analysis for the debate on this issue.
The segment reviewed progress made by the Council in promoting the integrated and coordinated implementation of and follow-up to the major UN Conferences and Summits, including the WSIS.
The report of the Secretary-General on “The role of the Economic and Social Council in the integrated and coordinated implementation of and follow-up to the outcomes of the major United Nations conferences and summits, in light of relevant General Assembly resolutions”, provided the background analysis for this review.
The work of the coordination segment was complemented by four panel discussions on:
- “The role of the UN system in promoting sustainable development in the context of current challenges”;
- “The impacts of the financial and economic crises on sustainable development, particularly their social implications”;
- “Towards a UN comprehensive response to the challenges of climate change”;
- “Effective sustainable development strategies: country level experience”
For information on the coordination segment, please contact Ms. Monica Nogara, Economic Affairs Officer, Policy Coordination Branch, Office of ECOSOC Support and Coordination (212) 963-4901, or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.