Meditation Room, UNNY137G, 1957, Sweden
Title

Meditation Room

Gift ID: 
137G

The Meditation Room was opened in 1952.  In the brochure distributed at the opening of the room, Dag Hammarskjold said "We have within us a  center of stillness surrounded by silence.  This house, dedicated to work and debate in the service of peace should have one room this dedicated to silence in the outward sense and stillness in the inner sense....People of many faiths will meet here and, for that reason none of the symbols to which we are accustomed in our meditation could be used. "

The mural by Bo Beskow represents the light of the skies giving light to the earth.  The stone in the middle of the room represents an alter that is dedicated to "..the God whom man worships under many names and in many forms." It was to remind us of the weight and solidity of the everlasting.  "The material of the stone, leads our thoughts to the necessity for choice between destruction and construction, between war and piece." Iron can represent swords but also ploughshares.

The fresco decorates the narrow end of  the V-shaped Meditation Room.  Painted in blue, white, grey and yellow, its hard-edge geometric forms are bisected length wise by a straight black line to which additional geometric forms are joined.  The six ton iron ore slab was donated by Sweden.

Location (Building): 
General Assembly (GA)
1st Floor
Donor Country: 
Sweden
Artist or Maker: 
Beskow, Bo
Dimensions: 
Fresco: 108 x 78 in., Iron ore slab:
Donation Date: 
January 1, 1957
Categories: 
Fresco