12th session of the Conference of States Parties to the
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
UN Headquarters, New York, 11-13 June 2019
Application Form for New NGO Accreditation to the COSP
(Deadline for Submission is 22 April 2019)
Please read the following instructions prior to submitting the Application Form and documents
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was adopted by the General Assembly in its resolution 61/106 of 13 December 2006. Article 40 of the Convention stipulates that “The States Parties shall meet regularly in a Conference of States Parties in order to consider any matter with regard to the implementation of the present Convention.”
According to the rule 25 of the Rules of Procedure of the Conference of State Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, accreditation shall be granted to:
- Non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council;
- Non-governmental organizations previously accredited to the Ad Hoc Committee on the Convention,
- Other non-governmental organizations subject to the approval of the Conference by consensus.
Rule 25, paragraph 5 (c) stipulates that requests for accreditation by non-governmental organizations should be circulated to State Parties four weeks in advance of the session for consideration and for official approval of the Conference by consensus, at the first meeting of the session.
Application for accreditation to the Conference of States Parties
Only NGOs accredited by the Conference of States Parties can participate in the sessions of the Conference of States Parties. NGOs that have consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) or were accredited to the Ad Hoc Committee on the Convention are already accredited to the Conference of States Parties. All other NGOs wishing to participate in the Conference of States Parties must apply for accreditation to the Conference.
Accreditation is a one-time process by which non-governmental organizations that have not previously been accredited become eligible to participate as observers in the Conference of States Parties (including in future sessions).
Accreditation is granted to organizations and not to individuals.
Applications for NGO accreditation should contain all the following information
- The purpose of the organization;
- Information on the programmes and activities of the organization in areas relevant to the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities with detailed information in the country(s) in which they are carried out. NGOs/DPOs seeking accreditation shall be asked to confirm their interest in the goals and objectives of the Conference and may need to provide additional documentation;
- Documented confirmation of the activities of the organization at the national, regional or international level;
- Copies of the annual or other reports of the organization with financial statements, and a list of financial sources and contributions, including contributions from Governments;
- A list of members of the governing body of the organization and their nationalities;
- A description of the membership of the organization, indicating the total number of members, the names of organizations that are members and their geographical distribution;
- A copy of the constitution and/or by-laws of the organization.
See also ECOSOC resolution: http://www.un.org/documents/ecosoc/res/1996/eres1996-31.htm.
The requests for accreditation by non-governmental organizations as required, will be circulated to State Parties four weeks prior to each session of the Conference of the States Parties. Following the approval process, new NGO applications for accreditation will be formally accredited during the first meeting of each session of the Conference of States Parties.
Final confirmation of accreditation will only be available after the first meeting of the 12th session of the Conference of States Parties on 11 June 2019 by 1 p.m.
Deadline: The complete application package should be received by 22 April 2019.
Completed application forms and documents should be sent via email to: email@example.com
An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be provided.