A Toolkit on Disability for Africa has been developed by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), Division for Social Policy and Development (DSPD). It is designed for the African context and aims to:
- Provide practical tools on various disability-related issues to government officials, members of parliament, civil and public servants at all levels, disabled persons organizations (DPOs) and all those with an interest in the inclusion of persons with disabilities in society and development;
- Support the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) and disability-inclusive development;
- Offer examples of good practices from many countries in the African region.
The Toolkit is particularly timely and appropriate given that 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of the adoption of the Convention and the first year of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals. It is comprised of 14 modules focused on various topics of socio-economic development related to disability issues in Africa.
Disability Inclusive Development in Africa: Building Capacity for Inclusive Development
2 December 2016, UN Headquarters, New York
Program | Flyer | Photos
This event presented the main challenges persons with disabilities face in the Africa region, such as exclusion, discrimination and challenges to the enjoyment of their fundamental rights and inclusion in development.
- UN DESA toolkit on CRPD – Trainers’ tips
- Introducing the UNCRPD
- Frameworks for implementing and monitoring the UNCRPD
- Disability-inclusive development
- Building multi-stakeholders partnerships for disability inclusion
- National plans on disability
- Legislating for disability rights
- Access to justice for persons with disabilities
- The rights of persons with disabilities to work
- Inclusive health services for persons with disabilities
- Participation in political and public life
- Information and communication technology (ICT) and disability
- Culture, beliefs, and disability
- Inclusive education
More Modules will be posted soon. For more information about the Toolkit, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org