** In light of the evolving COVID-19 situation and taking the latest guidance from the United Nations Secretary-General and the World Health Organization, any changes to the revised organization of work will be updated in this website. Participants should avoid making travel plans until further notice. Additional information will be provided as soon as it is available. Thank you for your continuing engagement and interest in the work of the Conference of the States Parties to the CRPD. For more information about COVID-19, please visit: https://www.un.org/coronavirus **
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) was adopted by the General Assembly by its resolution 61/106 of 13 December 2006. It came into force on 3 May 2008 upon the 20th ratification. Article 40 of the Convention stipulates that “The States Parties shall meet regularly in a Conference of States Parties in order to consider any matter with regard to the implementation of the present Convention.” Since 2008, 12 sessions of the Conference of States Parties have been held at United Nations Headquarters, New York.
The 13th session, per decided by States Parties at the 12th session of the Conference of States Parties (COSP) in June 2019, will be scheduled to take place at the United Nations Headquarters, New York, from 10 to 12 June 2020, during which an election of nine members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with disabilities will be conducted.
Bureau of the COSP13
- President: Ecuador (Latin American and Caribbean Group)
- Vice-Presidents: Liberia (African Group), Singapore (Asia-Pacific Group), Hungary (Eastern European Group) and Finland (Western European and Others Group)
Theme and sub-themes
“Over-arching theme: A decade of action and delivery for inclusive sustainable development: implementing the CRPD and the 2030 Agenda for all persons with disabilities.
Sub-themes for the three round tables
- Disability and business: realizing the right to work in open, inclusive and accessible environments for persons with disabilities.
- Addressing the rights and needs of older persons with disabilities: ageing and demographic trends (co-chair by Liberia and CSO)
- Promoting Inclusive environments for the full implementation of the CRPD (co-chair by Finland and CSO)
Cross-cutting theme: Strengthening capacity- building to fully implement the CRPD and the SDGs for persons with disabilities, in particular women and girls with disabilities. (Addressing the Beijing+ 25th and other relevant commemorations of the historical benchmarks in the global agenda this year).”
Provisional agenda and programme (forthcoming)
Election of the Members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
Details announcements will be made available in the UN Journal and a Note of the Secretary-General. For more information, please visit the website of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities – Elections 2020.
Civil Society Participation
- Application for New NGO accreditation: Deadline is Monday 20 April 2020.
Please read carefully the instructions and consult the List of NGOs Accredited to the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD before applying.
- Soliciting civil society nominations for joining/speaking at various meetings of the COSP13
The active participation of the broad-based civil society, including in particular Organizations of persons with disabilities and other stakeholders, has become a critical element in the work of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (COSP) since its inception in 2008.For the forthcoming 13th session of the Conference of States Parties, the Bureau and the Secretariat will continue this practice. Processes are currently underway in order to consult and proactively involve and engage civil society especially representative organizations of persons with disabilities for their participation in the work for the 13th session, in line with the Rules of Procedure of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD ( CSP/CRPD/2008/3). The bureau encourage members of the civil society community to consult each other among yourselves, including through existing civil society coordination mechanism, and to submit nominees for participating various meetings during the COSP13. Please consult the detailed instructions contained in each of the below web link before making nominations.
- If you would like to nominate a CSO panelist for a round table, please click here to fill out the form by Friday 21 February 2020, midnight New York time.
- If you would like to nominate a CSO co-chair for a round-table, please click here to fill out the form by midnight on Friday 28 February 2020.
- If you would like to nominate a CSO speaker for the Opening Session or the Interactive Dialogue, please click here to fill out the form by midnight on Friday 28 February 2020.
- For questions, please contact directly with the secretariat of the civil society coordination mechanism, via emailing to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) (forthcoming)