Draft Article 20
States Parties to this Convention shall take effective73 measures to ensure liberty of movement with the greatest possible independence for persons with disabilities, including:
- facilitating access by persons with disabilities to high-quality mobility aids, devices, assistive technologies and forms of live assistance and intermediaries, including by making them available at affordable cost;
- promoting universal design for mobility aids, devices and assistive technologies and encouraging private entities which produce these to take into account all aspects of mobility for persons with disabilities;
- undertaking and promoting research, development and production of new mobility aids, devices and assistive technologies;
- providing training in mobility skills to persons with disabilities and to specialist staff working with persons with disabilities;
- facilitating the freedom of movement of persons with disabilities in the manner and at the time of their choice, and at affordable cost;
- providing information to persons with disabilities about mobility aids, devices, assistive technologies and other forms of assistance and services;
- promoting awareness about mobility issues for persons with disabilities.
72: This draft Article is entitled "Personal mobility" to distinguish it from the broader right to liberty of movement in Article 12(1) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The Ad Hoc Committee may wish to consider the placement of elements of this draft Article, in particular sub-paragraphs (a), (b) and (c).
73: Some members of the Working Group preferred the word "progressive" or "appropriate". Other members were concerned with consistency with other articles of the Convention. The Ad Hoc Committee may wish to consider alternative formulations.
International human rights conventions and legal instruments
Summary of discussions at the Working Group
Comments on the draft text
Back to list of Draft Articles