NGOs and other civil society organizations
At the request of the Office of the President of the UN General Assembly (OPGA), the UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (UN-NGLS) and the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) are facilitating an open and participatory process to identify attendees and speakers for the General Assembly’s high-level meeting on 19 September and for the informal interactive multi-stakeholder hearing on 18 July.
Limited funding for travel will be available for several of the speakers selected through this process for the events on both 18 July and 19 September.
Relevant NGOs in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and NGOs not accredited to ECOSOC with relevant expertise are invited to apply to register for the 19 September event. The registration deadline for the informal hearing has expired. Registered participants will be eligible to attend both events and to apply for speaking roles.
26 June: Informal hearings
21 July: 19 September high-level meeting
All applicants must:
- be a representative of a civil society organization, non-governmental organization or academic institution, and officially authorized by their organization or network to speak on the organization or institution’s behalf;
- have expertise in large movements of refugees or migrants, or related issues;
- have demonstrated ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
- be available to be in New York on 18 July or 19 September (as applicable) and for travel if necessary;
- have a visa for travel to New York, or be able to obtain one within 4 weeks for travel to New York. (Please check with the US Embassy or Consulate in your country. The United Nations will provide an invitation letter only to the selected speakers to support a visa application. The selected speakers will be responsible for obtaining the visa for travel and for any costs associated with obtaining the visa.)
* Please note that due to high interest in attendance of this event, acceptance of your application to participate cannot be guaranteed.
For more information on members of the Civil Society Steering Committee, please refer to the website of the UNGLS.
For more information about ECOSOC accreditation, please refer to the website of the DESA NGO Branch.