Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the release of Djiboutian prisoners in Eritrea
New York, 18 March 2016
The Secretary-General has learned of the arrival in Djibouti today of the Foreign Minister of the State of Qatar, HE Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, and the announcement of the release of four Djiboutian prisoners by the Eritrean authorities.
The Secretary-General commends the efforts of the Qatari mediation in brokering this process and the State of Eritrea for releasing the prisoners. He hopes this will help address other regional outstanding issues between the Republic of Djibouti and the State of Eritrea and enhance regional peace and security in the Horn of Africa.
Statements on 18 March 2016
- New York, 18 March 2016 - Secretary-General's message at Francophonie Event [Delivered by Mr. Edmond Mulet, Chef de Cabinet]
- New York, 18 March 2016 - Secretary-General's remarks at the International Day of Happiness Event Angry Birds for Happy Planet Campaign
- New York, , 18 March 2016 - Secretary-General's Remarks to the Security Council Open Session on Burundi
- New York , 18 March 2016 - UN Secretary-General's Remarks at General Assembly Meeting to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination [As delivered]
- New York, 18 March 2016 - Secretary-General's remarks at Signing Ceremony for Compacts with Senior Managers [as prepared for delivery]