Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the elections in Iraq
New York, 19 May 2014
The Secretary-General welcomes the announcement of the preliminary results of the Council of Representatives election in Iraq of 30 April 2014. He looks forward to the certification of the final results after all procedures have been completed, including the adjudication of possible appeals. The Secretary-General urges all political parties to engage constructively and in a timely manner in the process of government formation.
The Secretary-General is concerned about the security situation in Anbar province and urges the government of Iraq to ensure that military operations against terrorism are conducted in accordance with Iraq’s international and constitutional human rights obligations.
The Secretary-General condemns the deliberate flooding of the Abu Ghraib area and urges all sides to refrain from actions that result in displacement of populations or cause environmental disasters. He reiterates his appeal regarding the need to address the humanitarian needs of the hundreds of thousands of people affected by the ongoing fighting in Anbar Province.
Statements on 19 May 2014
- New York, 19 May 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the forthcoming elections in Malawi
- New York , 19 May 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on Guinea-Bissau [Please scroll down for French]
- New York, 19 May 2014 - Secretary-General's message at unveiling of Plaque Commemorating 10th Anniversary of Awarding of Nobel Peace Prize to Wangari Maathai [delivered by Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Secretary-General's Special Adviser on Post-2015 Development Planning]
- New York, 19 May 2014 - Secretary-General's message to side event during 18th session of High-Level Committee on South-South Cooperation India-Brazil-South Africa Forum Fund [delivered by Mr. John Wilmoth, Director of Population Division, DESA]
- New York, 19 May 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Shanghai, China, 19 May 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at the Shanghai Institute of International Studies