Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Mali
New York, 11 December 2012
The Secretary-General is troubled by the circumstances leading to the resignation of Mali's Prime Minister, Mr. Cheick Modibo Diarra. The Secretary-General calls again for a cessation of military interference in politics and urges the Malian leadership to resolve any issues through peaceful means.
These latest developments underscore the importance of sustained national and international efforts to address the political crisis in Bamako. The Secretary-General calls on the Interim President, Mr. Dioncounda Traore, to expeditiously initiate consultations on the appointment of a consensual Prime Minister and the formation of a broad-based inclusive government. The Secretary-General stresses the urgency of moving forward with the National Dialogue in Mali in order to define a consensual roadmap for the transition that includes the holding of elections and leads to the full restoration of constitutional order and territorial integrity.
The Secretary-General stands ready to use his good offices and relevant United Nations presences on the ground to continue to support Mali in addressing the crisis.
Statements on 11 December 2012
- Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's message to the Anniversary Event of the UN Regional Centre for Preventive Diplomacy [delivered by Mr. Jeffrey Feltman Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs]
- New York, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's message to "Imagination and Integrity: Mediation in Building Institutions" event
- New York, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's remarks at the reception on the occasion of the award of the Nobel Peace Prize 2012 to the European Union [As prepared for delivery]
- New York, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's remarks at Launch of Initiative for the Elimination of Cholera in Haiti
- New York, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's remarks to special event on "Leadership in the Fight against Homophobia"
- New York, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's remarks at Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) High-level Conference
- Baghdad, Iraq, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's message to International Conference on Solidarity with Palestinian and Arab Prisoners and Detainees held in prison of the Israeli Occupation Authorities [delivered by Mr. Martin Kobler, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Iraq]
- Moscow, Russian Federation, 11 December 2012 - Secretary-General's message to International High-level Conference on Decent Work