Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the situation in Sudan and South Sudan
New York, NY, 16 April 2012The Secretary-General reiterates his deep concern over continued hostilities between Sudan and South Sudan, including its impact on innocent civilians. He calls on both parties to end the fighting immediately and to respect international humanitarian law and the protection of civilians. He calls on the Government of Sudan to cease immediately all aerial bombardment of South Sudan territory. He also calls on the Government of South Sudan to withdraw immediately from Higlig and to use legal and diplomatic instruments to address its arguments on the status of Higlig.
The Secretary-General is alarmed over reports received this weekend of the build-up of armed militia in the Abyei Area, which is in violation of the 20 June Agreement in which the parties committed themselves to the immediate withdrawal of all armed elements from the Abyei Area. The Secretary-General calls on the Government of Sudan to ensure the full and immediate withdrawal of these elements from the Area.
The Secretary-General urges President Bashir and President Kiir to fulfil their responsibilities to maintain peace and stability in Sudan and South Sudan and urges them to recommit to resolve all outstanding issues through peaceful dialogue and to convene the planned presidential summit as soon as possible.
Statements on 16 April 2012
- New York, NY, 16 April 2012 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Guinea-Bissau (scroll down for French)
- New York, 16 April 2012 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Ms. Margot Wallström, Under-Secretary-General and Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict
- New York, 16 April 2012 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on attacks in Afghanistan
- Brussels, Belgium, 16 April 2012 - Secretary-General's Remarks to European Union Summit on Sustainable Energy for All
- New York, 16 April 2012 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the second round of the presidential election in Timor-Leste