New York, 6 March 2015 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the destruction of Nimrud in Iraq
The Secretary-General condemns in the strongest terms the continuing acts of terror and violations of international humanitarian law by Daesh, including the systematic campaign of destruction of cultural patrimony in Iraq as illustrated by the latest attack on the archaeological site of Nimrud.
The Secretary-General is deeply disturbed by these events and calls on political and religious leaders in the region to raise their voices in condemnation of these unacceptable attacks. The deliberate destruction of our common cultural heritage constitutes a war crime and represents an attack on humanity as a whole.
The Secretary-General will meet today with the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova. He reiterates her call on the entire international community to ensure that these attacks will not continue and that the illicit traffic of cultural artefacts, which also directly contributes to the financing of terrorism, will be prevented.
Statements on 6 March 2015
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the destruction of Nimrud in Iraq
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General's remarks at meeting on the 2015 World Education Forum [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the Palestine Liberation Organization's Central Council decision to suspend security cooperation with Israel
- Geneva, Switzerland, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General's video message for Human Rights Council meeting on Climate Change
- Prague, Czech Republic, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General's message for the opening ceremony of the Final Conference of the 20th prague Student summit [delivered by Mr. Michal Broza, Officer-in-Charge, UN Information Centre, Prague]
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General remarks to the General Assembly high-level debate on "Advancing Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women and Girls for a Transformative Post-2015 Development Agenda"