New York, 28 March 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the conduct of peaceful elections in Nigeria
The Secretary-General congratulates the people and Government of Nigeria on the largely peaceful and orderly conduct of presidential and parliamentary elections on 28 March. He condemns the attacks reportedly carried out by Boko Haram and others who have attempted to disrupt today’s polling, and is encouraged by the determination and resilience shown by the Nigerian people in pressing forward and exercising their civic duties in the face of unjustifiable violence.
The Secretary-General encourages all Nigerians to continue to maintain a peaceful atmosphere and to exercise patience throughout the ongoing voting process and the announcement of the final results. He calls on all actors to channel any complaints that might arise through the established dispute resolution mechanisms.
The Secretary-General believes that the successful conclusion of the electoral process will mark an important step forward in further consolidating democracy and the rule of law in Nigeria.
Statements on 28 March 2015
- New York, 28 March 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the conduct of peaceful elections in Nigeria
- New York, 28 March 2015 - Secretary-General's video message for Earth Hour 2015
- Khanty-Mansiysk and Magnitogorsk, Russian Federation, 28 March 2015 - Secretary-General's video message to the 18th Winter Deaflympics
- New York, 28 March 2015 - Secretary-General's video message for UN Goodwill Ambassador Yvonne Chaka Chaka
- Sharm el-Sheik, Egypt, 28 March 2015 - Secretary-General's remarks at the 26th Ordinary Session of the Council of the League of Arab States