New York, 6 March 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on South Sudan
The Secretary-General expresses his profound disappointment following the unsuccessful conclusion of the IGAD-led peace talks and the failure of President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar to display statesmanship and reach an agreement on power-sharing arrangements.
Over the past two days, the Secretary-General has reached out to the parties and regional leaders and calls for the continuation of the negotiations. He strongly urges both parties to refrain from any attempt to escalate the conflict and reiterates that there can be no military solution or alternative to a negotiated settlement. He appreciates the efforts and vital role played by IGAD and its special envoys in bringing peace to South Sudan. He supports IGAD's intention to expand the mediation to include other partners.
The Secretary-General recalls the recent UN Security Council Resolution 2206 (2015), and the Council's intention to impose targeted sanctions on individuals and entities who fail to abide by the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement of 23 January 2014.
Statements on 6 March 2015
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on South Sudan
- New York , 6 March 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on recent progress in the inter-Malian inclusive dialogue process [Scroll down for French version]
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the destruction of Nimrud in Iraq
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General's remarks at meeting on the 2015 World Education Forum [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the Palestine Liberation Organization's Central Council decision to suspend security cooperation with Israel
- Geneva, Switzerland, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General's video message for Human Rights Council meeting on Climate Change
- Prague, Czech Republic, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General's message for the opening ceremony of the Final Conference of the 20th prague Student summit [delivered by Mr. Michal Broza, Officer-in-Charge, UN Information Centre, Prague]
- New York, 6 March 2015 - Secretary-General remarks to the General Assembly high-level debate on "Advancing Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women and Girls for a Transformative Post-2015 Development Agenda"