New York, 5 December 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to media upon the death of Nelson Mandela
I am profoundly saddened by the passing of Nelson Mandela.
Nelson Mandela was a giant for justice and a down-to-earth human inspiration.
Many around the world were greatly influenced by his selfless struggle for human dignity, equality and freedom. He touched our lives in deeply personal ways.
At the same time, no one did more in our time to advance the values and aspirations of the United Nations.
Nelson Mandela showed what is possible for our world and within each one of us - if we believe, dream and work together for justice and humanity.
His moral force was decisive in dismantling the system of apartheid.
Remarkably, he emerged from 27 years of detention without rancor, determined to build a new South Africa based on dialogue and reconciliation.
I was privileged to meet Nelson Mandela in February 2009. When I thanked him for his life’s work, he insisted the credit belonged to others.
I will never forget his selflessness and deep sense of shared purpose.
On behalf of the United Nations, I extend my deepest condolences to Nelson Mandela’s family, the people of South Africa, and indeed our global family.
Let us continue each day to be inspired by Nelson Mandela’s lifelong example to keep working for a better and more just world.
Statements on 5 December 2013
- New York, 5 December 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to media upon the death of Nelson Mandela
- New York, 5 December 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Central African Republic [scroll down for the French version]
- New York, 5 December 2013 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Yemen
- Kiev, Ukraine, 5 December 2013 - Secretary-General's message to 20th Ministerial Council of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe [delivered by Mr. Jeffrey Feltman, Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs]
- New York, 5 December 2013 - Secretary-General's message on International Volunteer Day
- Johannesburg, South Africa, 5 December 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Third Global Conference on Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security and Climate Change [delivered by Mr. David Nabarro, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Food Security and Nutrition]