Readout of the Secretary-General’s meeting with H.E. Mr. Boni Yayi, President of Benin and outgoing Chairperson of the African Union Summit
Addis Ababa, 27 January 2013
The Secretary-General met today with His Excellency Mr. Boni Yayi, President of the Republic of Benin and outgoing Chairperson of the African Union.
They discussed peace and security in Africa, including developments in Mali, Guinea-Bissau, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, as well as anti-piracy efforts in the Gulf of Guinea. The Secretary-General commended the Government of Benin on its strategy to deter pirate attacks along the country’s coastline. He also commended ongoing regional and international initiatives to suppress illicit maritime activities in the region. The Secretary-General and the President exchanged views on the Millennium Development Goals and the importance of good governance and rule of law. The President reviewed main activities he carried out as Chairman of the African Union, especially peace efforts around the continent. The Secretary-General commended him for his successful presidency of the Union.
Readouts on 27 January 2013
- Addis Ababa - Readout for the Secretary-General’s meeting with H.E Mr. Dioncounda Traoré, Interim President of Mali
- Addis Ababa - Readout of the Secretary-General’s meeting with H.E. Hailemariam Desalegn, Prime Minister of the Federal Republic of Ethiopia
- Addis Ababa - Readout of the Secretary-General’s meeting with Palestinian President H.E Mr. Mahmoud Abbas
- Addis Ababa - Readout of the Secretary-General’s meeting with H.E. Ms. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Chairperson of the African Union Commission
- Addis Ababa - Readout of the Secretary-General's meeting with H.E Mr. Alassane Ouattara, President of Côte d'Ivoire