25 - Health
Background Documents | Article 25 Background
Seventh Session | Sixth Session | Fourth Session | Third Session
Working Group | References
human rights conventions and other legal instruments
International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
• ICCPR: International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
• CERD: Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
• CEDAW: Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
• CAT: Convention Against Torture
• CRC: Convention on the Rights of the Child
• ILO Convention 159: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Disabled Persons)
• ILO Recommendation 168: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Disabled Persons)
Related to para. 1
ICESCR, Article 12(1): The States Parties to the present Covenant recognize
the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of
physical and mental health.
CERD, Article 5(e)(iv): In compliance with the fundamental obligations laid down in article 2 of this Convention, States Parties undertake to (…) guarantee the right of everyone, without distinction as to race, colour, or national or ethnic origin, to equality before the law, notably in the enjoyment of the following rights:… (iv) The right to public health, medical care, social security and social services;
CEDAW, Article 12(1): States Parties shall take all appropriate measures to eliminate discrimination against women in the field of health care in order to ensure, on a basis of equality of men and women, access to health care services, including those related to family planning.
CRC, Article 24(1): States Parties recognize the right of the child to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health and to facilities for the treatment of illness and rehabilitation of health. States Parties shall strive to ensure that no child is deprived of his or her right of access to such health care services.