Article 19 - Living independently and being included in the community
Background Documents | Article 19 Background
Seventh Session | Sixth Session | Fifth
Session | Fourth Session | Third
Working Group | References
human rights conventions and other legal instruments
International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
• ICCPR: International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
• CERD: Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
• CEDAW: Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
• CAT: Convention Against Torture
• CRC: Convention on the Rights of the Child
• ILO Convention 159: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Disabled Persons)
• ILO Recommendation 168: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Disabled Persons)
Related to para. 1 (a)
ICCPR, Article 12(1): Everyone lawfully within the territory of a State shall, within that territory, have (…) the freedom to choose his residence.
CERD, Article 5(d)(i): In compliance with the fundamental obligations laid down in article 2 of this Convention, States Parties undertake to (…) guarantee the right of everyone, without distinction as to race, colour, or national or ethnic origin, to equality before the law, notably in the enjoyment of the following rights:… (i) The right to freedom of movement and residence within the border of the State;
CEDAW, Article 15(4): States Parties shall accord to men and women the same rights with regard to the law relating to the movement of persons and the freedom to choose their residence and domicile.
CMW, Article 39: Migrant workers and members of their families shall have the right to liberty of movement in the territory of the State of employment and freedom to choose their residence there.