Are you a passionate 18 to 30 year old blogger and savvy social media user interested in sparking meaningful online conversation and engaging a global community in conversations around development, education, youth engagement and empowerment of communities in conflict areas?
UNRWA, with support from the Office of the United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth, is looking for 2 young people based in or near New York City – fluent in English and/or Arabic – who will live blog UNRWA’s High-Level Conference from a seat among the diplomats in the UN’s iconic Trusteeship Council Chamber.
This is an exciting opportunity for people interested in digital engagement and digital diplomacy to be one of the official Digital Ambassadors for UNRWA’s High-Level Conference at UNHQ.
We will accept one blogger/social media user to blog in Arabic and one to blog in English.
The Digital Ambassador opportunity is unpaid, however those selected will be provided with a stipend to cover travel, food and drink expenses during the day. Attending the conference is free.
What you will be doing:
Your role will be to help engage a global community in conversations around the conference and themes of the conference. We need your help to amplify the conversation to those around the world. Main duties: Live-tweet the event; answer questions coming in from followers and share those with the conference chair; write a post event summary and blog post. You will be working under the supervision of UNRWA’s Social Media Manager.
How to apply:
- Write a compelling blog post on how the 3.5 billion young people on the planet today represent 3.5 billion opportunities for change. The entry must be refreshing, inspiring, and reflective of your unique views on the topic.
- Make sure to include a link to your blog in your application (if applicable); give us your twitter handle and a link to you facebook page.
- Along with the essay send us your CV, with contact information, including phone number, email and mailing address, focusing on your experience with social media, writing, international relations, particularly the Middle East
- All applications should be in English
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: no later than 20 May 2015
- Finalists will be informed on 25 May 2015
- Must live in or near New York City
- Must be between 18 and 30 years old
- Must have demonstrated use of communications; either a blog or large following on social media (twitter and facebook)
- Must bring own laptop
- Must be fluent in English and /or Arabic
About UNRWA’s High-Level Conference:
Date: 2 June 2015
Time: 09:30 to 17:30
Location: Trusteeship Council Chamber, United Nations Headquarters, NYC
Description: The High Level Conference is convened under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to mark the 65th anniversary of the commencement of UNRWA operations to provide support and assistance to Palestine refugees under General Assembly Resolution 302 (IV).
This anniversary reminds us again that, over several generations, no solution has been found to the underlying political issues affecting Palestine refugees. On the other hand, we are also reminded that, with the support of the international community, UNRWA has successfully promoted the human development and protection of Palestine refugees for over 65 years, pending a lasting solution to their plight.
Against this backdrop, the objective of the High Level Conference will be to emphasize to UN Member States, civil society and the media the need to address both the unprecedented challenges facing Palestine refugees and to sustain international support for UNRWA. The event’s inaugural keynote speaker will be the Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon. During two afternoon sessions on protection issues in UNRWA’s fields of operation, Palestine Refugee representatives will share their experiences.
Application deadline May 20 2015. Click here to apply