You are here

Victims of Terrorism News

18.10.2017

18 October 2017 – Secretary-General António Guterres and the United Nations Security Council have condemned yesterday’s attacks in Afghanistan’s Paktya and Ghazni provinces, which left many dead and injured. “He extends his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wishes a speedy recovery to those injured. He expresses his solidarity with the people and the Government of Afghanistan,” according to a statement issued Wednesday by UN Spokesman Stéphane Dujarric.Read more »

20.10.2017

14 October 2017 – The United Nations in Somalia strongly condemned today's blasts in the capital, Mogadishu, which reportedly killed or injured dozens of people. In a tweet, the UN Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) denounced the “barbaric bombings in Mogadishu targeting civilians.” The head of UNSOM and UN Special Representative of Secretary-General in the country Michael Keating tweeted that he was “horrified” by the attacks. He extended his “deepest condolences” to the families and friends of the dead and injured.Read more »

15.10.2017

15 October 2017 – United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today commended the first responders and residents of the Somali capital, Mogadishu, for mobilizing to aid in what is being called Somalia's worst-ever bomb attack. In a statement from his spokesperson, the Secretary-General urged all Somalis “to unite in the fight against terrorism and violent extremism and work together in building a functional and inclusive federal state.”Read more »

04.10.2017

4 October 2017 – Condemning an attack against a court house in the Libyan city of Misrata, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) underscored that those behind the incident must be held accountable. At least three individuals were killed and more than 15 injured in the attack today, the responsibility for which is claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da’esh) terrorist group.Read more »

26.09.2017

26 September 2017 – The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the attack by unknown assailants against a UN mission convoy in the region of Gao, northern Mali, on 24 September, that left three Bangladeshi peacekeepers dead and injured four others. Through a press statement, the Council expressed deepest condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims, the Government of Bangladesh and the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), according to a statement.Read more »

20.09.2017

20 September 2017 – Secretary-General António Guterres has condemned the terrorist attacks that took place earlier this week in Borno state, Nigeria, as well as in Kossa, Cameroon, which targeted vulnerable people already affected by Boko Haram violence. “The Secretary-General extends his condolences to the people and Governments of Nigeria and Cameroon for the loss of life,” his spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, said in a statement.Read more »

15.09.2017

15 September 2017 – Secretary-General António Guterres today condemned the terrorist attacks in southern Iraq and called for the perpetrators to be quickly brought to justice. In a statement from his spokesperson, the Secretary-General expressed “his sincere condolences to the families of the victims and to the Government and people of Iraq.” Terrorists attacked the Thi-Qar province on 14 September, reportedly killing or wounding dozens of people.Read more »

12.09.2017

12 September 2017 – United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres condemned the terrorist attack that took place on Monday on a police convoy near el-Arish in northern Sinai in Egypt. The attack reportedly killed at least 18 policemen and injured 3 others. “The Secretary-General hopes those responsible for this act will be quickly brought to justice,” his spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, said in a statement. “He conveys his condolences to the families of the victims and to the Government and people of Egypt. He also wishes a swift recovery to the injured.” Read more »

01.09.2017

1 September 2017 – Iraq: ISIL targeting civilians to 'avenge' loss of Tal Afar, UN envoy says Fighters from the Islamic State (ISIL) are indiscriminately targeting civilians to avenge for their loss of Tal Afar, the top United Nations political representative in Iraqi today said, condemning the latest attack in Baghdad. “Da'esh terrorists have shown absolute disregard for human life,” said Ján Kubiš, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General in Iraq, using the Arabic acronym for ISIL.Read more »

24.08.2017

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Jane Connors of Australia as the first Victims’ Rights Advocate for the United Nations.Read more »

24.08.2017

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Jane Connors of Australia as the first Victims’ Rights Advocate for the United Nations.Read more »

23.08.2017

19 August 2017 – On World Humanitarian Day, the United Nations and its partners are calling on all global leaders to do everything in their power to protect people caught up in conflict, and to stand with the health and aid workers who risk their lives to help them. “Let the world know: Civilians are Not A Target,” underscored Secretary-General António Guterres in his message on the Day.Read more »

19.08.2017

19 August 2017 – United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today condemned the terrorist attack in south-western Finland which killed at least two people. “The United Nations stands in solidarity with the Government of Finland in its fight against terrorism and violent extremism,” the Secretary-General said in a statement from his spokesperson. He extended his heartfelt condolences to the Government and people of Finland, and wished a speedy recovery to the injured.Read more »

17.08.2017

17 August 2017 – Condemning today's terrorist attack on Barcelona, Spain, Secretary-General António Guterres said the United Nations stands in solidarity with the Government and people of Spain in the fight against terrorism and violent extremism. “He extends his heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of those killed and to the Government and people of Spain,” according to a statement issued by UN Deputy Spokesman Farhan Haq.Read more »

16.08.2017

16 August 2017 – Condemning a series of terrorist attacks in north-eastern Nigeria, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has called for those responsible for these “repeated heinous acts” to be brought to justice. In a statement from his spokesman late Tuesday, the Secretary-General extended his deep condolences to the Government and people of Nigeria, and wished those injured a speedy recovery. “He calls for those responsible for these repeated heinous acts in Nigeria and neighbouring countries to be swiftly brought to justice,” according to the statement.Read more »

Pages

Events

Not Forgotten: Stories of Remembrance from Victims of Terrorism

International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism 2020
image1170x530cropped

United Nations Annual Memorial Service, 19 April 2018

In annual memorial, UN pays tribute to 140 fallen staff members
image1170x530cropped (002)

Submit your question here before 20 March 2018.

Ask our expert on the Human Rights of Victims of Terrorism