Launched by the United Nations in September 2018 by more than 30 founding media organizations – encompassing more than 100 media and entertainment outlets – the SDG Media Compact seeks to inspire media and entertainment companies around the world to leverage their resources and creative talent to advance the Sustainable Development Goals.
IN FOCUS: CLIMATE CONFERENCE
World leaders will gather at the Climate Conference (COP24) in Katowice, Poland, from 2 to 14 December, to finalize the rulebook to implement the Paris Agreement on climate change, the landmark agreement that was adopted in 2015. In the agreement, countries committed to take action to limit global warming to well under 2°C this century. At the conference, the UN will invite people to voice their views and launch a campaign to encourage every day climate action.
COP24 is an important milestone that will help countries formalize the process for increasing and accelerating ambition to reduce emissions and build climate resilience.
We will only succeed in limiting climate change if everyone is involved. On 3 December, the United Nations will launch a new campaign to inspire climate action leveraging artificial intelligence (AI) technology. The Climate Action Messenger Bot ActNow.bot, deployed on the United Nations Facebook page during COP24—will make it easier than ever before for people to learn what actions they can take to tackle climate change.
Be part of a movement and show your support for urgent #ClimateAction!
Latest Climate Change Videos
This is a selection of UN videos available on climate change. If you are interested in any of this material, please contact the UN Audiovisual Library for the broadcast-quality version.
Broadcast-quality video for UNifeed stories is available online for two weeks. Should you wish to request archival material, please contact the UN Audiovisual Library
The World Meteorological Organization’s Statement on the State of the Global Climate will be released ahead of COP24 on 29 November 2018. It will provide an assessment of the state of the global climate during the period January-September 2018.
To strengthen the multilateral process and accelerate ambition and action, UN Secretary-General António Guterres is convening a Climate Summit in 2019 that will provide countries and stakeholders with the opportunity to telegraph how they increase their commitments to a sustainable future.
This is a race we can win. This is a race we must win.
Be the Change Initiative provides an opportunity for us to better “walk the talk” when it comes to the Sustainable Development Goals. This Initiative guides and encourages us to live more sustainable at work and at home by changing our production and consumption habits.
The UN has prepared a toolkit for your organization to use to hold your own initiative – be it an internal recycling initiative or bike to work day, holding a coat-drive or workshops to create awareness on sustainability issues at the workplace.
Every little step counts.
COP24 | UN Department of Public Information
- Dan Shepard, Information Officer, Sustainable Development Section, +1 646 675 3286
- Esra Sergi, Associate Public Information Officer, Sustainable Development Section, +1 917 367 8304
UN Expert Interviews
- Patricia Espinosa, Executive Director, UNFCCC,
Media Contact: Alex Saier
- Achim Steiner, Administrator, UN Development,
Media Contact: Christina LoNigro
- Hoesung Lee, Chair of the IPCC,
Media Contact: Jonathan Lynn
- Peter Thomson, UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the Ocean,
Media Contact: Annie Wei Lu
- Gilbert F. Houngbo, Chair, UN-Water,
Media Contact:: Daniella Bostrom
- Rachel Kyte, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General and Chief Executive Officer of Sustainable Energy for All,
Media Contact: Beth Woodthorpe-Evans
- Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Executive Director, UN-Habitat
Media Contact: Susannah Price
- Raf Tuts, Director, Programme Division
- Shipra Narang Suri, Coordinator, Urban Planning and Design Branch
- Robert Kehew, Leader, Climate Change Planning Unit
- Marcus Mayr, Associate Human Settlements Officer, Climate Change Planning Unit
- Cristiana Paşca Palmer, Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity
Media Contact: David Ainsworth
- Alexander Shestakov, Head, Science Division
- Catalina Santamaria, Acting Head, Communications
- Sarat Gidda, Head, Conservation and Sustainable Use
- Markus Lehmann, Head, Economic Policy Unit
- John Scott, Programme Officer, Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities
- Joyce Msuya, Deputy Executive Director, UN Environment
Media Contacts: Keith Weller, Stefan Smith, Shari Nijman
- David Grimes, President, World Meteorological Organization
Media Contact: Clare Nullis