Date(s) - 08/06/2015
- Website: https://www.un.org/en/events/oceansday/
- Message from the Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- Message from the Director General of UNESCO, Ms Irina Bokova
- Hashtags: #WorldOceansDay #Action2015
Celebration of World Oceans Day 2015
The United Nations will celebrate World Oceans Day 2015 and recognize the winners of the Annual World Oceans Day Oceanic Photo Competition at an event on 8 June 2015 at the United Nations Headquarters. This year’s theme for World Oceans Day is “Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet.”
The celebration of World Oceans Day coincides with the first day of the twenty-fifth meeting of the Meeting of States Parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. This year will also mark the twentieth anniversary of the adoption and opening for signature of the Fish Stocks Agreement.
At sunset the Empire State Building will be beautifully lit in the World Oceans Day colours of white, blue and purple, representing the different layers of the ocean.
Why do we celebrate World Oceans Day?
- To remind everyone of the major part the Ocean has in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
- To inform the public on the impact of the human actions on the Ocean.
- To develop a worldwide movement of citizen, towards the Ocean.
- To mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the World Ocean. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- To celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the Ocean.