SDG Media Zone
16-20 January 2022 | UN Hub, Dubai Expo, UAE
The SDG Media Zone at the Dubai Expo will take place from 16 – 20 January 2022 at the UN Hub. Hosted by the United Nations and in collaboration with the PVBLIC Foundation and media partners, the SDG Media Zone aims to take the conversation on advancing the Sustainable Development Goals out of the policy sphere and into the public discourse.
Through a live format of interviews and panel discussions, the SDG Media Zone brings together UN principals, influencers, and industry leaders to talk about innovative solutions and initiatives that address global challenges, such as inequalities, climate change and gender disparity.
- Melissa Fleming, Under-Secretary-General for Global Communications, UN
- Maher Nasser, Commissioner-General of the UN at Expo
- Sanda Ojiambo, CEO & Executive Director, UN Global Compact
- Michael Hadaad, UNDP Goodwill Ambassador for Climate Action
16 Jan | SDGs Decade of Delivery
17 Jan | Climate Action
18 Jan | Innovation
19 Jan | Gender Equality
20 Jan | Misinformation
Discussions will centre around key themes which include SDG Action, Gender Equality, Food Security, Climate Change, Inequalities and Misinformation.
16 January | Decade of Action: Driving Sustainable Recovery from the Pandemic
The Sustainable Development Goals are front and centre at Expo2020 in Dubai, recognizing the importance of partnerships for delivering implementation of the Goals. While the COVID-19 pandemic has derailed SDGs progress, there have also been opportunities for growth including rapid digitization. As we mobilize for the Decade of Action on the SDGs, what does the future look like in terms of ensuring a sustainable, equal and prosperous future for everyone?
- Amina Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General, United Nations
- H.E. Reem Al Hashimi, Minister of State for International Cooperation, UAE
- Host: Maher Nasser, Commissioner-General of the UN at Expo2022
16 January | Good Food for People and Planet
Food is bigger than what is on your plate. Each day, the food choices we make impact the future of people and planet.
Good food can strengthen our communities, power our economies, and protect our planet – but only if we act! From farmers planting climate-smart seeds to chefs preparing zero-waste recipes, everyone, everywhere can act to ensure that good food does good with small yet meaningful actions.
- Paul Newnham, Director, SDG 2 Advocacy Hub
- Arthur Potts Dawson, Chef
- Grace Ramirez, Chef
- Host: Nada Farhat, Al Arabiya News
17 January | Changemakers: Individual action for the SDGs
As we commit boldly to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, including SDG 13 on climate action, concrete steps and inspiration are essential. Michael Haddad, a Goodwill Ambassador for UNDP, demonstrates that with unfailing determination and resolve, individual action can drive positive change for the planet.
- Michael Haddad, UNDP Goodwill Ambassador for Climate Action
- Host: Jayashri Wyatt, Special Projects Manager, Outreach Division, UN Department of Global Communications
18 January | COP26 Reflections: Accelerating the Path Forward
An increasing number of companies worldwide are embedding sustainability into their corporate practices, which is good for business and the planet. However, the renewed ambition to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, together with a global climate emergency, calls for a stronger commitment by the private sector. What can businesses do to help drive SDG implementation and secure a 1.5°C future?
- Nada Farhat, Al Arabiya News (Moderator)
- Sanda Ojiambo, CEO, UN Global Compact
- Alexis Lecanuet, Regional Managing Director for Middle East, Accenture
18 January | Youth innovating for the SDGs
Approximately 2.6 billion people around the world lack access to clean cooking solutions, and energy production and use represent the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide. Investing in clean, affordable energy helps promote good health, tackle climate change, and boost the economy by creating green jobs. The innovative solutions and creativity of young people can accelerate the transition to renewable energy, fueling a sustainable and just future for all.
- AY Young, SDG Young Leader (Moderator)
- Nisreen Elsaim, Chair of UN Secretary-General’s Youth Advisory Group on
- Vladislav Kaim, UN Secretary-General’s Youth Advisor on Climate Change
19 January | A Storied Relationship: UN & UAE
The UN has had a long-standing relationship with the UAE which includes working together on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its core 17 SDGs. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this expanded to humanitarian relief around vaccine equity. The panel explored today’s state of play for the UN and UAE, and what collaboration looks like in the future.
- Amira Mohammad, Abu Dhabi Media (moderator)
- Dena Assaf, UN Resident Coordinator for the UAE
19 January | Rewriting the Narrative: Women’s Visions
Women have been at the forefront of the pandemic response, yet they have suffered disproportionately during the COVID-19 pandemic – rising rates of domestic violence, economic devastation, and huge job losses. Estimates indicated that the pandemic would push approximately 47 million more women and girls into poverty. To meet the challenges of our time, from the pandemic to rising inequalities to climate change, women must be a part of all decision-making processes.
- Melissa Fleming, UN Under-Secretary-General for Global Communications (Moderator)
- Epsy Campbell Barr, Vice President, Costa Rica
20 January | Misinformation – Truth Over Headlines
From misinformation about the use of disinfectants to false claims that the coronavirus can spread through mobile networks, unreliable information is hurting the global effort to defeat the COVID-19 pandemic. By dispelling rumours, fake news, and messages of hate and division, the UN is working to spread accurate information and messages of hope and solidarity.
- Amira Mohammed, Abu Dhabi TV (moderator)
- Melissa Fleming, UN Under-Secretary-General for Global Communications
- Adama Dieng, UNOHCHR Expert on Human Rights in Sudan & former UN Secretary-General Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide