NOTE TO CORRESPONDENTS ON US RETURN TO PARIS AGREEMENT
- On 20 January 2021, the United States of America notified the Secretary-General of its acceptance of the Paris Agreement of 12 December 2015.
- The United States of America signed the Paris Agreement on 22 April 2016 and expressed its consent to be bound by the Agreement by acceptance on 3 September 2016, before withdrawing from the Agreement as of 4 November 2020.
- A new instrument of acceptance of the Paris Agreement by the United States was signed by President Biden on 20 January 2021 and deposited with the Secretary-General on the same day.
- The Paris Agreement will enter into force for the United States on 19 February 2021, in accordance with its article 21 (3).
- The Registration on the UN Treaty website can be seen here: https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/CN/2021/CN.10.2021-Eng.pdf