HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NOON BRIEFING BY FARHAN HAQ,
DEPUTY SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL BAN KI-MOON
WEDNESDAY, 10 AUGUST 2016
SECRETARY-GENERAL TO MEET WITH REFUGEES IN LOS ANGELES
- The Secretary-General just arrived in Los Angeles.
- He will have two events involving the creative community to encourage the increasing collaboration which has been extremely valuable, allowing the UN to reach millions of viewers worldwide with messages about the role of the UN and global issues, such as the Sustainable Development Goals.
- In addition, the Secretary-General will participate in an event for a discussion with Congressman Ed Royce of California, the chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. He will thank the Congressman for his leadership on a wide range of global issues.
- He will also have a chance to meet and have a conversation with a group of recently refugees from Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East at an event co-sponsored by the International Rescue Committee, the Annenberg Foundation and the UN Foundation. He is expected to express his gratitude to the authorities in California, as it is the top state in receiving resettled refugees in the United States.
SECRETARY-GENERAL WELCOMES SIGNING OF SUDAN AGREEMENT
- The Secretary-General welcomes the signing of the Roadmap Agreement for Ending the Conflicts in Sudan by the Sudanese opposition groups on 8 August. The agreement was proposed by the African Union High-level Implementation Panel (AUHIP) and was signed by the Government of Sudan on 21 March 2016.
- The Secretary-General is encouraged by this valuable step towards ending the war and resolving the crises in Sudan. He calls on all Sudanese parties to maintain this positive momentum and urges them to continue working towards an agreement on
a cessation of hostilities, humanitarian access to conflict-affected areas and the process for reaching a final, political settlement through an inclusive national dialogue.