The Committee is supported by the Panel of Experts established pursuant to resolution 2140 (2014). It was initially comprised of four experts and was expanded to five experts by resolution 2216 (2015). The Panel of Experts is home-based. Its current mandate extends through 28 March 2022.
The Panel of Experts is mandated to:
- Assist the Committee in carrying out its mandate as specified in resolutions 2140 (2014) and 2216 (2015), including through providing information relevant to the potential designation of individuals and entities who may be engaging in the activities described in paragraphs 17 and 18 of resolution 2140 (2014) and paragraph 19 of resolution 2216 (2015);
- Gather, examine and analyse information from States, relevant United Nations bodies, regional organisations and other interested parties regarding the implementation of the measures decided in resolution 2140 (2014) and 2216 (2015);
- Provide to the Council a midterm update and a final report;
- Cooperate with other relevant expert groups established by the Security Council, in particular the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team pursuant to resolutions 1526 (2004) and 2253 (2015);
- Assist the Committee and refining and updating information on the list of individuals subject to the assets freeze, travel ban, and targeted arms embargo, including through the provision of identifying information and additional information for the publicly-available narrative summary of reasons for listing.