I. Relevant Security Council resolutions / Committee Guidelines
II. Who is entitled to submit listing requests?
Member States may at any time submit to the Committee listing requests for inclusion of individuals and entities on the 1988 Sanctions List.
III. What should be included in listing requests?
Before a Member State proposes a name for inclusion on the 1988 Sanctions List, it is encouraged, to the extent possible, to approach the State(s) of residence and/or nationality of the individual or entity concerned to seek additional information.
States are advised to submit names as soon as they gather the supporting evidence of actions that meet the listing criteria. When submitting names of entities, States are encouraged, if they deem it appropriate, to propose for listing at the same time the names of the individuals responsible for the decisions of the entity concerned.
Listing requests must contain a detailed statement of case in support of the proposed listing and the specific criteria under which the names of individuals and/or entities are being proposed for designation, including:
- specific findings and reasoning demonstrating that the listing criteria are met;
- details of any connection with a currently listed individual or entity;
- information about any other relevant acts or activities of the individual/entity;
- the nature of the supporting evidence (e.g., intelligence, law enforcement, judicial, media, admissions by subject, etc.);
- supporting evidence or documents;
- details of any connection with a currently listed individual or entity.
To the extent possible, the following specific information should be provided to allow for the positive identification of the individual or entity concerned by competent authorities:
- For individuals: family name/surname, given names, other relevant names, date of birth, place of birth, nationality/citizenship, gender, aliases, employment/occupation, residence, addresses, passport or travel document (including date and place of issue as well as expiration date) and national identification numbers, current and previous addresses, website addresses, current location and any biometric information (physical description, photographs, fingerprints);
- For groups, undertakings or entities: name, registered name, short name(s)/acronyms, and other names by which it is known or was formerly known, address, headquarters, branches/subsidiaries, organizational linkages, parent company, nature of business or activity, State(s) of main activity, leadership/management, registration (incorporation) or other identification number, status (e.g. in liquidation, terminated), website addresses.
IV. How to make the listing request?
The Committee has approved a standard form for listing, which it calls upon Member States to use when proposing names to the Committee for inclusion on the 1988 Sanctions List. This Standard Form is available through the links below.
Please note that there are two separate Standard Forms, one for requesting the listing of individuals, and one for requesting the listing of entities.
Standard form for individuals
- Standard form for individuals – basic version in PDF format
- Standard form for individuals – advanced version in MS Word format
Standard form for entities
- Standard form for entities – basic version in PDF format
- Standard form for entities – advanced version in MS Word format
Please address the listing requests to:
- The Chair of the Committee, His Excellency Mr. T.S. Tirumurti, through the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations.
With a copy to:
- The Secretary of the Committee, Mr. Kiho Cha, Email address: SC-1267-Committee@un.org
V. Decision-making of the Committee
In accordance with Section 4 of Committee Guidelines, the Committee will consider all complete listing requests. If a proposal for listing is not approved within the decision-making period (ten working days) the Committee will provide feedback to the submitting State on the status of the request.
On the same day that a name is added to the 1988 Sanctions List, the Committee shall make available on its website a narrative summary of reasons for listing that name.
As soon as the Committee approves a listing request, the Secretariat shall notify the Permanent Mission of the country or countries where the individual or entity is believed to be located and, in the case of individuals, the country of which the person is a national (to the extent this information is known).
For further information, please see the fact sheet on listing.