I. Relevant Security Council resolutions / Committee Guidelines
- Security Council resolution 1533 (2004): paragraph 10
- Security Council resolution 1807 (2008): paragraph 4
- Committee Guidelines: Sections 5 and 7
II. Who is entitled to submit listing requests?
The Committee will decide on the designation of individuals and entities on the basis of criteria contained in paragraph 4 of resolution 1857 (2008); a request by a Member State; the list submitted by the Group of Experts pursuant to paragraph 10(g) of resolution 1533 (2004); and on the basis of information conveyed by the Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict or the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict in pursuance of paragraph 17 of resolution 1698 (2006).
III. What should be included in listing requests?
Listing requests must contain a detailed statement of case in support of the proposed listing and the specific criteria under which the names of individuals and/or entities are being proposed for designation, including:
- specific findings and reasoning demonstrating that the listing criteria are met;
- nature of the supporting evidence (e.g., intelligence, law enforcement, judicial, media, admissions by subject, etc.);
- supporting evidence or documents;
- details of any connection with a currently listed individual or entity.
States shall identify those parts of the statement of case that may be publicly released, including for the use by the Committee for development of the narrative summary or for the purpose of notifying or informing the listed individual or entity of the listing, and those parts that may be released upon request to interested States.
To the extent possible, the following specific information should be provided to allow for the positive identification of the individual, group, undertaking or entity concerned by competent authorities, including:
- For individuals: family name/surname, given names, other relevant names, date of birth, place of birth, nationality/citizenship, gender, aliases, employment/occupation, residence, addresses, passport or travel document (including date and place of issue as well as expiration date) and national identification number, current and previous addresses, website addresses, and current location;
- For groups, undertakings or entities: name, acronyms, address, headquarters, subsidiaries, affiliates, fronts, nature of business or activity, leadership, tax or other identification number and other names by which it is known or was formerly known, and website addresses.
IV. How to make the listing request?
Please address the listing requests to:
- The Chair of the Committee, His Excellency Mr. Abdou Abarry (Niger) through the Permanent Mission of Niger to the United Nations
With copies to:
- The Senior Committee Secretary of the Committee, Mr. David Biggs (sc-1533-Committee@un.org)
V. Decision-making of the Committee
In accordance with Paragraph 5(e) of the Committee Guidelines, the Committee will consider expeditiously requests to update the sanctions list. If a proposal for listing is not approved within the decision-making period as set out in paragraph 4(d) of its Guidelines (five working days), the Committee will provide feedback to the submitting State on the status of the request.
If the Committee approves the listing requests, the Secretariat shall, after publication but within one week after a name is added to the sanctions List, notify the Permanent Mission of the country or countries where the individual or entity is believed to be located and, in the case of individuals, the country of which the person is a national (to the extent this information is known).