If you are an individual or entity listed on the ISIL (Da'esh) and Al-Qaida Sanctions List (List) of the Security Council’s ISIL (Da'esh) and Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee, you may submit a request for delisting directly to the Office of the Ombudsperson.
Format and Transmission
There is no prescribed format for the request. What is important is to include all the necessary information as described in the Content section below. While it is preferable for the request to be submitted in, or accompanied by a translation into, one of the six official languages of the United Nations (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish) requests in other languages will be accepted.
You may transmit your request by any means which affords a record in writing – post, e-mail, or fax. For requests submitted by post, in case clarification or follow up is required, it would facilitate the process if you include a return e-mail address or fax number or if that is not possible, a phone number through which you can be contacted. You may send your request to the following addresses:
Office of the Ombudsperson
Room DC2 2206
New York, NY 10017
United States of America
Tel: +1 212 963 2671
Your request for delisting should make reference to the relevant entry in the List. Please include the following information:
1) Identification information for the petitioner.
If you are a listed individual, please provide:
(a) your full name including any middle names or initials, father and grandfather's names as may be applicable, as well as any other names or pseudonyms that you use;
(b) your date and place of birth;
(c) your nationality - if more than one please provide all;
(d) your State of current residence; and
(e) any other information which may help to clarify any issues of identity.
If you act on behalf of an entity, please provide:
(a) full name of the entity including any alternative names used;
(b) if applicable, place and date of incorporation/registration;
(c) State(s) of current operation(s);
(d) any other information which may help to clarify any issues of identity; and
(e) an explanation of what capacity you are acting on behalf of the entity in.
2) A statement of the reasons/ justification for delisting. This section should be as detailed as possible. Please explain why you believe your name should be removed from the list. In particular, you may wish to specify if you:
- contest the existence of some or all facts described in the Narrative Summary;
- accept the existence of such facts but argue that they do not establish your association with ISIL (Da’esh) or Al-Qaida; or
- concede that you have been associated with ISIL (Daesh) or Al-Qaida, but you submit that you have disassociated from ISIL (Da’esh) or Al-Qaida or circumstances have changed. In which case, you may wish to explain what steps you have taken to disassociate.
Please address any specific designating criteria set out in the Consolidated List entry or in the Narrative Summary. If, in addition, you have any information or suspicions as to the basis for your inclusion on the list, please include those along with any explanations, arguments or submissions relating to the same.
In order to help you prepare your petition you may wish to check the Ombudsperson’s Approach and Standard and the Approach to Analysis, Assessment and Use of Information. ۟
3) Where available, copies of any documents or other supporting or explanatory material.
4) If applicable, a description of any court proceedings or litigation of relevance to your delisting request.
5) If applicable, a reference to any previous request for delisting you have made through the Focal Point or otherwise.
Note: While resolution 2368(2017) sets out a procedure for repeat requests, that process will be applicable only to repeat requests to the Ombudsperson. Thus, where a previous request has been made through the Focal Point or otherwise, the request to the Office of the Ombudsperson will be considered as an initial one.
6) Where the request is being made by a person acting on your behalf, a document signed by you, authorizing the person to act on your behalf.
Once your petition has been received, the Ombudsperson will acknowledge receipt. If more information is required from you at this stage, the Ombudsperson will contact you. Otherwise the Ombudsperson will proceed on the basis of your written petition and inform you personally of the next steps. If you would already want to know more about the general procedure, you may read the relevant section on this website
Should you require assistance or further information please contact the Office of the Ombudsperson at: email@example.com
 The listing criteria are set out in paragraphs 3 to 9 of Security Council resolution 2368 (2017). In particular, acts or activities indicating that an individual, group, undertaking or entity is associated with ISIL or Al-Qaida and therefore eligible for inclusion in the ISIL (Da’esh) & Al-Qaida Sanctions List include:
(a) Participating in the financing, planning, facilitating, preparing, or perpetrating of acts or activities by, in conjunction with, under the name of, on behalf of, or in support of;
(b) Supplying, selling or transferring arms and related materiel to;
(c) Recruiting for; or otherwise supporting acts or activities of Al-Qaida, ISIL, or any cell, affiliate, splinter group or derivative thereof.