The Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED), acting on behalf of the Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee, conducted a follow-up visit to the Republic of Paraguay from 26 to 28 July 2017. The initial visit of the Committee took place in March 2017. The delegation also conducted two site visits to Ciudad del Este and the Tri-Border Area, shared by Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay.The main objectives of the visit were to gather information on Paraguay’s implementation of Security Council resolutions 1373 (2001), 1624 (2004), and 2178 (2014); discuss its progress in the area of counter-terrorism since the initial visit in March 2017; and identify areas in which it might be in a position to provide assistance to other States.The Republic of Paraguay reaffirmed its strong commitment to countering terrorism in all aspects, including links between terrorism and transnational organized crime, the illegal trafficking of drugs, arms, and people, document forgery and counterfeiting, as well as money laundering.Led by Mr. Jean-Paul Laborde, Assistant Secretary-General and Executive Director of CTED, the delegation focused in particular on the implementation of the Committee’s earlier recommendations on the counter-financing of terrorism; legislation; inter-agency coordination; international and regional cooperation in information-sharing; and respect for human rights in countering terrorism. Paraguay acknowledged concerns surrounding the financing of terrorism by addressing corruption, legislation, and inter-agency cooperation.Paraguay expressed similar concerns over the issue of money-laundering and terrorism financing, stressing the steps it has taken to counter these particular issues, through the introduction of law enforcement measures and efforts to formalize commercial transactions.Members of the delegation included CTED Officers, representatives of the Inter-American Committee against Terrorism (CICTE/OAS), and of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
United Nations Council Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate visits the Republic of Paraguay
Barnabe Musoni2017-09-19T15:07:25+00:00Friday, 28 July 2017|Border security, Human rights, International, regional, and subregional cooperation, Terrorism financing|
- Monday, 18 September 2017|Comments Off on UN CTED attends ICAO’s first Aviation security symposium
- Monday, 21 August 2017|Comments Off on Counter-Terrorism Committee submits updated Technical Guide to Security Council
- Wednesday, 2 August 2017|Comments Off on CTED welcomes Security Council resolution on denying terrorists access to weapons
- Thursday, 27 July 2017|Comments Off on Addressing CTC, Australia stresses need for regional and international partnerships
- Thursday, 27 July 2017|Comments Off on Counter-Terrorism Committee conducts follow-up visit to the Arab Republic of Egypt