Cyprus

Cyprus

27 February 2019
SC/13722

The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Anatolio Ndong Mba (Equatorial Guinea):

26 February 2019

The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that $148 million is urgently needed to continue the response to the unprecedented Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo or risk backsliding.  Less than $10 million of the required funds have been pledged so far.

30 January 2019
SC/13683

The Security Council extended the mandate of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) until 31 July 2019 today, unanimously adopting resolution 2453 (2019).

30 January 2019

Following a sea tragedy on Tuesday off Djibouti’s Red Sea coast, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) reports that 16 survivors have been recovered, as well as the remains of 43 victims.  IOM staff have been helping the Djibouti authorities patrolling the shorelines in search of other survivors.

8 November 2018
SG/A/1838-BIO/5158-PKO/755

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres announced today the appointment of Major General Cheryl Pearce of Australia as Force Commander of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP).

26 July 2018
SC/13434

The Security Council authorized a six‑month mandate renewal for the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) today, and called upon the leaders of the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities as well as all parties involved to commit fully to a settlement process, using United Nations consultations to restart negotiations.

30 January 2018
SC/13187

The Security Council today renewed the mandate of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) for six months and endorsed implementation of recommendations contained in the Secretary-General’s strategic review of the mission.

15 August 2017

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and its partners have begun relocating more than 33,000 Congolese refugees from over-crowded reception centres in northern Angola to a newly established settlement in Lóvua, some 100 kilometres further inland, where they will all receive a plot of land on which to build shelters and grow food.

14 August 2017
SG/SM/18643

The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres:

27 July 2017
SC/12931

The Security Council today renewed the mandate of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) for six months today, while asking the Secretary-General to conduct a strategic review of the mission.

26 July 2017

High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein announced today the appointment of Bacre Ndiaye from Senegal, Luc Côté from Canada and Fatimata M’Baye from Mauritania as international experts on the situation in the Kasaï region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, mandated by the Human Rights Council.

6 July 2017

The United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) condemns continuing ceasefire violations by two signatories of the Peace and Reconciliation Agreement — the CMA and the Plateforme.  The Head of MINUSMA urged the leadership of both groups to put an end to the violations immediately.

5 July 2017

The Secretary-General yesterday strongly condemned the launch of a ballistic missile of possible intercontinental range conducted by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.  He said that the action is yet another brazen violation of Security Council resolutions and constitutes a dangerous escalation of the situation.

1 July 2017
SG/SM/18596

The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres:

30 June 2017

The Head of the United Nations Mission in Colombia told the Security Council today that, with the final handover of weapons by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia-People's Army’s (FARC-EP), the United Nations had been requested to establish a second mission aimed at verification and fostering cooperation.

28 June 2017

Three planes chartered by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) have delivered 36 tons of life-saving medical and water purification supplies to Yemen to combat the outbreak of cholera which has surpassed 200,000 cases.  The supplies include oral rehydration salts to treat 10,000 people, as well as 10.5 million water purification tablets.

27 June 2017
SG/SM/18591

The following statement by UN Secretary-General António Guterres was issued today:

27 June 2017

The Secretary-General condemns the series of suicide bombing attacks on 25 and 26 June in Maiduguri, Borno State, in Nigeria.  He extends his condolences to the people of Nigeria for the loss of life, and wishes a quick recovery to those injured and hopes that those responsible for this act will be swiftly brought to justice.

9 June 2017
SG/SM/18563

The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres:

9 June 2017

The United Nations Mission in Mali reports that an attack by unidentified assailants on the Mission’s observation post south-east of the base has left three peacekeepers dead and three others injured.  The Mission condemns the attacks and is determined to continue supporting the peace process and protecting civilians.