The Independent Audit Advisory Committee of the United Nations (IAAC) held its forty-third session from 18-20 July 2018 at United Nations Headquarters in New York. Presiding over the session was the Chair, Maria Gracia M. Pulido Tan. All the other members of the IAAC — Patricia X. Arriagada Villouta (Vice-Chair), Natalia A. Bocharova, Richard Quartei Quartey and Janet St. Laurent — were in attendance.
The Committee’s deliberations included meetings with, inter alia:
- The Secretary-General, on the activities of the Committee.
- David Kanja, Assistant Secretary-General for Internal Oversight Services (OIOS), and senior managers regarding a wide range of matters, including: (i) the status of vacant posts; (ii) how OIOS plans to adapt to the shifting management paradigm and the evolving role of the internal audit function; (iii) update on the funding arrangements of OIOS; and (iv) strengthening of the investigation function.
- Christian Saunders, Assistant Secretary-General for Central Support Services, on behalf of the Under-Secretary-General for Management, on: (i) the status of the implementation of recommendations of oversight bodies; (ii) update on the Secretary-Generals’ reform initiatives; (iii) the implementation of the anti-fraud risk register; and (iv) other matters of interest to the Committee.
- Atefh Riazi, Assistant Secretary-General and Chief Information Technology Officer, on cybersecurity and how it is being handled within the context of the Information and Communications Technology Network of the High-Level Committee on Management.
- The Audit Operations Committee, on issues or trends apparent in the financial statements of the Organization and the Report of the Board of Auditors.
- Francis Kamikamica, Deputy Director, Accounts Division, on behalf of the Controller, on: (i) the status of the Secretary-General’s reform initiatives, including the implementation strategy; (ii) strengthening of the internal control system of the Organization; (iii) updates to funding the After-Service Health Insurance; (iv) the funding arrangement of OIOS; and (v) other matters of interest to the Committee.
The next (forty-fourth) session of the IAAC is scheduled for 11-14 December 2018 at United Nations Headquarters in New York.
For further information on the work of the IAAC, please see the Committee’s website at www.un.org/ga/iaac, or contact the Committee’s Executive Secretary, Moses Bamuwamye, at email email@example.com; tel.: +1 212 963 0788.