United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today announced the appointment of a group of eminent Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Advocates to help promote action to achieve the SDGs adopted by world leaders at the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit on 25 September 2015.
The SDGs represent a commitment by all nations to work together to end poverty, achieve shared prosperity, build peace and secure a life of dignity and a healthy planet for present and future generations.
The Advocates will build on their unique standing and leadership to promote the SDGs as part of an ambitious and transformative global development agenda. They are to support the Secretary-General in his efforts to generate momentum and commitment to achieve the SDGs by 2030.
The SDG Advocates will promote the universal character of the SDGs, including their commitment to leave no one behind; to promote the engagement of new stakeholders in the implementation and financing of the SDGs; to encourage partnerships with Governments, civil society and the private sector to share knowledge and resources; and to raise awareness for the integrated nature of the SDGs.
The Advocates include:
- John Dramani Mahama, President of Ghana
- Erna Solberg, Prime Minister of Norway
- Queen Mathilde of Belgium
- Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
- Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Co-Founder, Qatar Foundation
- Richard Curtis, Screenwriter, Producer and Film Director
- Dho Young-Shim, Chairperson, United Nations World Tourism Organization’s Sustainable Tourism for Eliminating Poverty Foundation
- Leymah Gbowee, Director, Gbowee Peace Foundation
- Jack Ma, Founder and Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group
- Graça Machel, President, Foundation for Community Development
- Leo Messi, World Renowned Footballer, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
- Alaa Murabit, Founder, The Voice of Libyan Women
- Paul Polman, Chief Executive Officer, Unilever
- Jeffrey Sachs, Director, Earth Institute at Colombia University
- Shakira Mebarak, Artist, Advocate and Founder, Pies Descalzos Foundation, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
- Forest Whitaker, Founder and CEO, Whitaker Peace & Development Initiative, UNESCO Special Envoy for Peace and Reconciliation
- Muhammad Yunus, Founder, Grameen Bank