In accordance with General Assembly resolution 75/260, a high-level meeting (HLM) on HIV/AIDS will be convened from 8 to 10 June 2021, in the General Assembly Hall, at the UN Headquarters, in New York. The HLM will undertake a comprehensive review of the progress on the commitments made in the 2016 Political Declaration towards ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030, and how the response, in its social, economic and political dimensions, continues to contribute to progress on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the global health goal. The high-level meeting will provide recommendations to guide and monitor the HIV/AIDS response beyond 2021, including new concrete commitments to accelerate action to end the AIDS epidemic by 2030 as well as to promote the renewed commitment and engagement of leaders, countries, communities and partners to accelerate and implement a comprehensive universal and integrated response to HIV/AIDS.
The General Assembly requested the President of the General Assembly to organize and preside over an interactive multi-stakeholder hearing as part of the preparatory process for the HLM, with support from the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, and with the participation of people living with, at risk of and affected by HIV, including key populations, representatives of Member States and observers of the General Assembly, parliamentarians, representatives of local governments, invited civil society organizations, including non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council, philanthropic foundations, academia, medical associations, the private sector and broader communities. The hearing was hosted virtually on 23 April 2021.
HIV/AIDS Interactive Multi-Stakeholder Hearing (23 April 2021)
The Informal Interactive Multi-stakeholder Hearing as part of the preparatory process for the 2021 high-level meeting on HIV/AIDS was hosted on Friday, 23 April 2021 and webcast live and on demand on United Nations Web TV. A summary of the hearing was circulated by the President of the General Assembly and can be accessed here.
- Political Declaration on HIV and AIDS: Ending Inequalities and Getting on Track to End AIDS by 2030 A/res/75/284 (A/75/L.95)
- Letter dated 4 June 2021 conveying the final programme for the High-Level Meeting on HIV/AIDS
- Letter dated 28 May 2021 conveying the provisional list of speakers for the general debate of the high-level meeting on HIV/AIDS
- Letter dated 7 May 2021 conveying the provisional programme of the high-level meeting on HIV/AIDS
- Letter dated 21 April 2021 regarding the High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on HIV/AIDS conveying the final programme for the Interactive Multi-Stakeholder Hearing as well as an invitation by the co-facilitators to an informal consultation
- Letter dated 9 April 2021 regarding arrangements for the High-Level Meeting on HIV/AIDS and the interactive multi-stakeholder hearing