In accordance with General Assembly resolution 75/25 of 9 December 2020 entitled, “Follow-up to the Declaration and Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace”, the President of the General Assembly will convene the High-level Forum on the Culture of Peace at 10 am on Tuesday, 7 September 2021, at the General Assembly Hall, United Nations Headquarters.
This year’s High-Level Forum will offer an opportunity to the Member States and observers of the General Assembly and other stakeholders to renew their commitments to the full and effective implementation of the UN Declaration and Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace, with particular emphasis on tackling the multidimensional impacts of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and towards a resilient and inclusive recovery.
This years High-level Forum on the Culture of Peace will be held under the theme “Transformative Role of the Culture of Peace: Promoting Resilience and Inclusion in Post-Covid Recovery”. It consists of an opening segment, a plenary segment and a panel discussion.
10:00 -10:45 am
• H.E. Mr. Volkan Bozkir, President of the 75th Session of the UN General Assembly
• Video message by H.E. DR AK Abdul Momen, MP, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Bangladesh
• H.E. Maria Luiza Ribeiro Viotti, Chef de Cabinet of the UN Secretary General
• Video message by H.E. Mr. Miguel Ángel Moratinos, High Representative of the United Nations Alliance of Civilization (UNAOC)
• Mr. Eliot Minchenberg, Director a.i., the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) Liaison Office in New York
10:40 am -1:00 pm
Statements by Member States and observers
Panel Discussion: “Transformative Role of the Culture of Peace: Promoting Resilience and Inclusion in Post-Covid Recovery”
Chair and Moderator
- H.E. Ambassador Anwarul K. Chowdhury, Founder of the Global Movement for the Culture of Peace (GMCoP), Former Under-Secretary-General and High Representative of the United Nations, Chairman of the UN General Assembly negotiations for the Declaration and Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace (1998-1999)
- Ms. Beatrice Fihn, 2017 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and Executive Director, the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN)
- Hon. Mr. Kazumi Matsui, Mayor of Hiroshima, Japan and President of “Mayors for Peace” with a worldwide membership of 8000 City Mayors; and
- Ms. Jayathma Wickramanayake, UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth.
- H.E. Ms Rabab Fatima, Permanent Representative of Bangladesh to the United Nations;
- H.E. Mr. Rodrigo A. Carazo, Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the United Nations;
- H.E. Ms. Mathu Joyini, Permanent Representative of South Africa to the United Nations;
- Mr. Federico Mayor Zaragoza, President of Foundation for a Culture of Peace, former Director-General of UNESCO (1987-1999);
- DR Ada Juni Okika, Global Director of the Centre for Transformative Advancement of Development of Africa;
- Mr. Liu Zhenmin, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs;
- Mr. Francisco Rojas Aravena, Rector of the University of Peace in Costa Rica.
[Interactive segment with comments, questions and answers from the floor with participation of the panellists]
Closing remarks by the President of the General Assembly
- Letter dated 10 September 2021 conveying the summary for the High-level Forum on the Culture
- Letter dated 2 September 2021 conveying the revised concept note and final programme for the High-level Forum on the Culture of Peace
- Letter dated 25 August 2021 regardign the High-level Forum on the Culture of Peace, to be held on 7 September 2021, sharing the concept note and programme.
- Letter dated 22 July 2021 conveying that a High-level Forum on the Culture of Peace will be held on Tuesday, 7 September 2021, at the General Assembly Hall