PRESS BRIEFING BY BRENDEN VARMA, SPOKESPERSON FOR GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT VOLKAN BOZKIR
PRESIDENT CALLS FOR COOPERATION TO FIGHT TERRORISM AS ASSEMBLY STARTS 7TH REVIEW OF GLOBAL COUNTER-TERRORISM STRATEGY
- The General Assembly is holding informal consultations this morning on the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy.
- When the Strategy was adopted by consensus in 2006, all UN Member States agreed for the first time to a common approach to fighting terrorism.
- The Assembly reviews the Strategy every two years. Today’s consultations mark the start of the seventh review.
- In opening remarks, the President said terrorism is a scourge that knows no borders and that cooperation thus remains the key to fighting it effectively.
- He added that terrorist acts not only kill and injure individuals; they traumatize communities and societies.
- He noted that the review process is critical to ensuring that the Strategy remains relevant and in line with Member States’ priorities and needs.
- The President said COVID-19 has magnified challenges as many countries have had to shift resources away from counter-terrorism efforts.
- At the same time, the conditions that terrorists exploit – to create division and recruit others – have been exacerbated.
- He also stressed that efforts to counter terrorism must not compromise human rights.
WE CAN’T ALLOW CRIME TO DERAIL OUR TRACK TO 2030, PRESIDENT TO TELL KYOTO CRIME CONGRESS
- This Sunday, the President will address by video message the 14th UN Congress on Crime and Criminal Justice in Kyoto.
- It is being convened by the Government of Japan and the UN Office on Drugs and Crime.
- He is expected to say that the track to 2030 is already more difficult, given the socio-economic consequences of COVID-19. So, we cannot allow crime to derail us further.
- He will add that, in this Decade of Action, we need to improve governance, strengthen the rule of law, and promote effective and accountable criminal justice institutions.
- The President will also send a video message to a related special event on the Global Programme for the Implementation of the Doha Declaration.