PRESS BRIEFING BY BRENDEN VARMA, SPOKESPERSON FOR GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT VOLKAN BOZKIR
PRESIDENT CONDEMNS ATTACK ON U.N. PEACEKEEPERS IN MALI
- This morning, the President strongly condemned today’s attack on a UN Mission base in central Mali, which caused injuries to 20 UN peacekeeping personnel.
- He said it is unacceptable that our committed peacekeepers keep coming under fire while simply carrying out their mandates.
PALESTINIAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE BRIEFS PRESIDENT ON 2021 PLANS
- The President met virtually this morning with the Bureau of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People. The Committee is a subsidiary organ of the General Assembly.
- The Bureau members in attendance were the Permanent Representatives of Senegal, Afghanistan, Cuba, Namibia, Nicaragua and Indonesia, and the Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine.
- Topics of discussion included the Committee’s work and plans for 2021 and the general situation in Palestine, including upcoming Palestinian elections, support for the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) and the impact of COVID-19 on the Palestinian people.