PRESS BRIEFING BY BRENDEN VARMA, SPOKESPERSON FOR GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT VOLKAN BOZKIR
PRESIDENT MEETS U.N. RIGHTS CHIEF, DISCUSSES NEED TO UPHOLD HUMAN RIGHTS DURING PANDEMIC
- This morning the President held a virtual meeting with UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet. This was their first meeting.
- They spoke about multilateralism and human rights being challenged precisely when they were needed the most. They also discussed the importance of upholding human rights during the COVID-19 pandemic – as well as their shared priority of protecting vulnerable populations.
- The President highlighted that respect for and protection of human rights are integral to the work of the General Assembly and his priorities for the 75th session.
COVID-19: PRESIDENT SHARES UPDATE ON U.N. SUPPORT WITH MEMBER STATES
- In a letter to Member States on Friday evening, the President shared an update by the Secretary-General on how the UN system is supporting its Member States in coping with the health, socioeconomic, humanitarian and human rights consequences of COVID-19.
- That update was requested by the General Assembly in three resolutions during the 74th session.
- In his letter, the President wrote that this is “a most important subject matter.” And he expressed the hope that it would be explored further when he convenes the General Assembly’s special session on COVID-19.
ASSEMBLY’S 2ND COMMITTEE HEARS FROM U.N. REGIONAL COMMISSIONS
- This morning the General Assembly’s Second Committee – or Economic and Financial Committee – is holding a virtual dialogue with the Executive Secretaries of the UN’s regional commissions.
- This afternoon, the Second Committee will consider the agenda item entitled “Permanent sovereignty of the Palestinian people in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and of the Arab population in the occupied Syrian Golan over their natural resources”.
- It will hear a briefing from Tarik Alami, the Director of the Emerging and Conflict-Related Issues Division at the UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia.