HIGHLIGHTS OF PRESS BRIEFING BY BRENDEN VARMA, SPOKESPERSON FOR GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT MIROSLAV LAJČÁK
PRESIDENT RETURNS TO NEW YORK, MEETS LATIN AMERICAN & CARIBBEAN GROUP CHAIR
- The President should be landing in New York in around an hour – following his trip to Azerbaijan to address a Non-Aligned Movement conference.
- He will be coming into the office this afternoon, and on his agenda for today is a meeting with the Chair of the Latin American and Caribbean Group.
- In response to questions, the Spokesperson confirmed that one of the expected topics of discussion with the Chair of the Latin American and Caribbean Group would be the election of the next President of the General Assembly.
- Responding to further questions, the Spokesperson added that informal interactive dialogues with the candidates would take place in early May, and the elections would then be held in June.
- Replying to additional inquiries, the Spokesperson said that the President regularly met with the Chairs of Regional Groups.
LATEST DRAFT RESOLUTION ON SUSTAINING PEACE CIRCULATED TO MEMBER STATES
- A revised draft resolution entitled “Follow-up on the Secretary General’s Report on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace” has been circulated to Member States.
- This latest draft was submitted by the Permanent Representatives of Bangladesh and Lithuania, who are the co-facilitators leading the consultations on this resolution, which is to be adopted by the General Assembly during the High-level Meeting on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace on 24-25 April.
- The next informal consultations on this draft will be held on Monday afternoon.