UN General Assembly President Mogens Lykketoft travels to Turkey for World Humanitarian Summit and LDCs meeting
NEW YORK, 22 May 2016 – The President of the UN General Assembly H.E. Mogens Lykketoft is travelling to Turkey on Sunday May 22 where he will participate in the first World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul which takes place on 23 and 24 May. The President will both preside and speak at the opening of the Plenary and participate in several of the Roundtables concerning Humanitarian Financing and Migrants and Humanitarian Action.
On Tuesday 24 May, the President will have several bilateral meetings. Among them with:
- H.E. Mr. Giorgi Margvelashvili, President of Georgia
- Mr. William Lacy Swing, Director General of IOM
- Ms. Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International Development of Canada
- Ms. Gayle Smith, USAID Administrator
- Mr. Mario Giro, Deputy Foreign Minister of Italy
- Mr. Elhadj As Sy, Secretary-General IFRC
- Mr. Peter Maurer, President, ICRC
- Ms. Paula Gaviria, Minister and High Counsellor for Human Rights, Republic of Colombia
On Friday 27 May the President of the UN General Assembly will participate in the Midterm Review of the Istanbul Program of Action for the Least Developed Countries which takes place in Antalya, Turkey.
The President is travelling with Chef de Cabinet Tomas Anker Christensen, Senior Adviser Ramis Sen, Special Assistant Lliam Findlay and Special Media Adviser Ulla Oestergaard. The travel of the PGA and his delegation was supported by the Government of Turkey, UN OCHA and UN OHRLLS.
For further information please contact Ulla Oestergaard on T: +1 646 388 3080 or by e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org