Several UN system and related organizations provide analysis and information services, dedicated research programmes, and advocacy services for LDCs.
- UN/DESA provides support to LDCs in the form of analysis, data, information on support measures and capacity-building. It also supports the work of the Committee for Development Policy (CDP) in its deliberations on inclusion and graduation from the LDC category. It collects and disseminates information on LDCs and countries that have recently graduated from the category and maintains this portal and the Gradjet platform to support graduation.
- The Office of the High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (UN-OHRLLS) at the United Nations advocates in favour of LDCs within the United Nations and with other partners, assists LDCs in mobilizing resources and other forms of support and provides support to group consultations of LDCs. It also monitors the implementation of programmes of action for LDCs and supported the establishment of the LDC Technology Bank and the Investment Support Programme for LDCs, among other activities.
- UNCTAD produces an annual “Least Developed Countries Report” addressing trends and issues of interest to LDCs, and provides substantive support to the Enhanced Integrated Framework. The latest issue of the Least Developed Countries Report can be found here: The Least Developed Countries Report 2018 – Entrepreneurship for structural transformation: Beyond business as usual (UNCTAD/LDC/2018)
- The WTO Secretariat addresses issues of interest to LDCs in support of the Sub-Committee on Least Developed Countries of the Committee on Trade and Development. Among other documents, it publishes an annual note on “Market access for products and services of export interest to least developed countries” (2018 report available here: WT/COMTD/LDC/W/66). See also “The WTO reviews DFQF market access for LDCS”.
- ESCAP produces an annual report entitled Asia-Pacific Countries with Special Needs Development Report, covering LDCs, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States;
Other organizations also provide information and support for LDCs:
The OECD keeps track of data and trends on Official Development Assistance (ODA). Its latest Development Cooperation Report (Development Co-operation Report 2018 – Joining Forces to Leave No One Behind) contains information on the performance by the members of the Development Assistance Committee on commitments to LDCs such as untied aid and providing the equivalent of 0.15-0.20% of GNI in ODA to LDCs. See also the information on ODA commitments – 0.15-0.20% of GNI, ODA commitments for LDCs: Untying aid, ODA commitments for LDCs: the average grant element.