Please visit the New to the UN page for health and life insurance coverage options offered by the United Nations. Additionally, you may find Navigating the Healthcare System in the US, a handbook prepared by the United Nations Medical Services Division, to be a great resource to guide you on how the health care system works in the US.
Frequently Asked Questions - New to the UN
- Active staff:
- New Hire/Re-hire: Provided that the application is made within the prescribed 31-day time frame, coverage for a staff member newly enrolled in a health insurance plan commences either on the first day of a qualifying contract (minimum of 3 months for medical and dental insurance) or on the first day of the following month.
- Annual Enrolment Campaign: coverage commences 1 July.
- Change in payrolling office/agency: coverage commences either on the first day of a qualifying contract (minimum of 3 months for medical and dental insurance) or on the first day of the month following a qualifying contract.
- New dependant: coverage commences on the first day the dependant becomes eligible (for example on the day a child is born or adopted, on the marriage date for a spouse).
- Retirees: after-service coverage commences on the first day of the month following retirement.
Kindly note that although effective on the afore-mentioned dates, it may take 3-4 weeks for the coverage to be reflected under the Insurance provider database and insurance cards to be mailed. Staff members and retirees may therefore be requested to pay expenses upfront and should seek reimbursement through the insurance provider once the insurance cards are received.
- Initial Appointment: coverage commences on the first day of the month during which the application is submitted
- Evidence of Insurability required: coverage commences on the approval date by Aetna
- If a contract terminates before the last day of a month, coverage will remain in place until the end of that month. For example, if the contract terminates on 15 December 2013, the coverage will end on 31 December 2013.
Welcome to the United Nations! Please visit the New to the UN page for more information and resources about your options.